Confusion on XE-1 and getting to max sync of 180 in Manual Mode

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by ej_d, May 30, 2013.

1. ej_d

ej_d New to FujiXspot

May 30, 2013
    Hi All,

I have been lurking in this forum while researching my foray into Fuji cameras. I recently picked up a Fuji XE-1 I do a lot of off camera strobe photography so I threw my Phottix Stratos II trigger on it and started messing around last night. Here is my confusion.

-I set the camera to manual
    -I set the flash to rear curtain sync
    -Lets say I start by setting a desired exposure for ambient that gives me f2.8 and 1/125th of a second. So far so good.
    -I set my flash on the proper power to expose my subject the way i want.

Here is where my question comes in. If i want to darken the ambient my next shutter speed option is a full stop at 1/250th on the shutter speed dial. Thats faster then sync speed (180th). So i can use the selector buttons (God only knows why this is different then on the X100S which uses the command dial but thats a different rant) to select the shutter speed in 1/3 stops. That gives me the option of 1/160th or 1/200th. With the max sync speed of 1/180th it does not appear that there is any way to specifically get right to sync speed. It will be either under or over. At 1/200th i have not really seen banding but I am just curious if there is a way to get to the specific sync speed or you just have to work with 1/160th or 1/200th. I did not see any option in the menu that would let me select smaller shutter speed increment adjustments then 1/3 of a stop with the selector buttons. Thanks in advance for the help. I searched the forum but have not seen this question posed before.

Ed

2. AlbertInFrance

AlbertInFrance FujiXspot Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    Morbihan, France
    Most people find that the X-E1's built in flash syncs quite happily at 1/250th.

I thought I'd answered this question before...

3. ej_d

ej_d New to FujiXspot

May 30, 2013
    Thanks Albert,

I looked through the forum but did not see anything related to this. I did do some testing with my olympus FL50R and Phottix Stratos II Trigger and find that 250th was no problem. I think more than anything I found it odd to have a max sync speed with no real way to get to the exact speed in manual mode.

Ed

4. Accidentalobservist

Accidentalobservist New to FujiXspot

Sep 13, 2013
    Someone said they were able to get 180th? How?

5. migs

migs FujiXspot Regular

Mar 26, 2013
  6. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I'm not following how that answers the original question of how to get a shutter speed of 1/180 on the X-E1, since it's literally not not a selectable shutter speed. The question isn't where is 1/180, it's how to set it on the X-E1 specifically :confused:

7. jloden

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    For the OP - there's only one way I know of to get to 1/180 and that's automatically. If you use the built-in flash in an auto mode, it automatically limits the shutter speed to 1/180 (annoyingly, I've found it doesn't exhibit that behavior that when using a TTL cable on the hot-shoe so I can't rely on it to limit itself to the max sync speed if I'm shooting auto).

I didn't double check to confirm, but I bet the 1/180 maximum X-sync speed specification is really geared for the built-in flash. If you're using a more powerful flash unit I would bet 1/200 is safe, and maybe even as high as 1/250 though obviously you'd have to test with whatever flash setup you're actually using.

• Like Like x 1
  8. migs

migs FujiXspot Regular

Mar 26, 2013
    forgive my ignorance. i take it for granted that i can change exposure in third and half stops in my nikon and oly. given i have no hands on experience with the xe1 (which is why i'm here trying to learn as much as i can before i jump in the fuji pool), i take it that cannot be changed.

9. jloden

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Ahhh ok that explains why you were confused then, I thought I was missing something :)

The X-E1 has a mechanical style shutter wheel rather than an electronic wheel. It's fixed in 1 stop increments (1/60, 1/125, 1/250, etc.). Then you can use the back control pad left or right to adjust from there, but in 1/3 stop increments.

So the dial gets you to 1/125, and the closest you can get is 1/200 or 1/160 by adjusting from there. 1/180 isn't selectable as it's in between the available settings. Granted, 1/160 or 1/200 is close enough for most purposes but when you're talking flash x-sync speed most people are looking to squeak out every last bit they can!

10. migs

migs FujiXspot Regular

Mar 26, 2013
    Silly that it's not an option. Even more silly that the manual states it and that it's not possible unless in P or A. I always push the flash sync speed anyway until I start seeing black bars.