Creamy Bokeh: X10 v. X20

Discussion in 'Fuji X10, X20, X30, XF1, and X-S1' started by mrs. sparks, Feb 7, 2013.

1. mrs. sparks

mrs. sparks New to FujiXspot

Feb 7, 2013
    I own an x10 and love it to bits, but I see that there is a limit to getting creamy bokeh with it. I was toying with the thought of getting a Lumix lx7 which has f/1.4 aperture, but with the release of the x20,I'm tempted to get that instead. Based on the specs of the two, does anyone here have an idea whether the x20 is likely to produce creamier bokeh than the x10? Any camera options that you could recommend that would best the x10 in terms of producing shallow dof? Thanks! :)

2. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    I expect the optical look to be identical.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mrs. sparks

Feb 7, 2013
    Flysurfer, thanks for confirming my suspicion, considering it has same aperture range. I actually thought the improved sensor in the x20 would produce creamier bokeh. Guess I now have no excuse to get the x20 :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  4. porchard

porchard FujiXspot Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Devon, UK
    As flysurfer said, one would expect the optical performance of the x20, in this regard, to be identical to the x10. The quoted sensor size for the x20 is the same as that of the x10.

As for the LX7, if you're looking to exploit shallower depth-of-field for bokeh, I doubt that you'd want to move from the x10 to the LX7, anyway. Despite its wider maximum aperture, I would expect the LX7 to offer less in the way of shallow depth-of-field, as its sensor is smaller (6.7x5.1mm vs. 8.8x 6.6mm on the x10), and in addition, the focal range is shorter (24-90mm equiv. vs. 28-112mm equiv. on the x10).

It might be worth a visit to the Dofmaster on-line Depth of Field calculator, to try a comparison of the two cameras... I could be wrong.;)

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  5. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Of course, the LX7 will not deliver significantly less DOF at F1.4/2.3 than the X10/20 at F2.0/2.8. OTOH, bokeh quality (like "creaminess") has only so much to do with DOF, as it's also quite dependent on lens design. For starters you might want to study this Carl Zeiss white paper.

6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Near Philadephila
    I have the LX7 and its a wonderful little camera, but if you're looking for narrow DOF, you're barking up the wrong tree with these compacts. Yeah, the lens is fast but these are tiny little sensors. Either the X10 or LX7 can produce some nice shallow DOF shooting macros and a little bit at the long end of the zoom, but this is just fundamentally NOT what you buy a compact camera to do. You can get there with m43 or APS format cameras with the right lenses and for sure with full frame, butt even the RX100, which has the largest sensor of any little compact and is f1.8 at the wide end won't produce much in the way of bokeh.

-Ray

7. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    That's because the lens is quite slow at the long end, where it really matters.

8. nianys

nianys FujiXspot Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    France
    Claire
    Indeed, the X10 with its fast lens AND larger sensor is probably the best "bokeh" option available in compacts today. Not to mention the Pro Focus mode that works pretty well...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hyubie

Hyubie FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Weymouth, MA
    Nianys, post some samples of pro-focus in action! I admit I haven't even tried that when I had the X10. But you've really been singing praises to that nifty feature i think since you had it. Very curious now. :)

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jan 31, 2013
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I made this table some time ago:

[​IMG]

The X10 actually has slightly more shallow DOF at full tele than either the Sony RX100 or Panasonic LX7.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Armanius

Armanius FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    An old thread in SC.com discussing the X10's pro-focus, pro-low light, etc. with a couple of sample photos.

http://www.seriouscompacts.com/f63/fuji-x10-special-modes-4917/

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Near Philadephila
    Pro-focus is basically a post processing hack done in camera. It works better than some but the camera sometimes misjudged and blurs out part of what you want in focus. If I'm relying on software for blur, I'd rather apply it myself.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  13. mrs. sparks

Feb 7, 2013
    Thank you, everyone!!! This is truly helpful. Good to know too that the x10 is prolly the best option among the compacts in terms of shallow DOF. Saves me from spending my much needed moolah (funds which I will just divert to pimping my x10, haha). This forum is really useful (people are nice too, yey!)

• Like Like x 2