Google +

mmacleodbrown

Regular
Im starting this as requested by BBW to discuss ideas

I suppose a bit of background would be a good idea.
I love twitter - never post, but use it like google to search for information...
MySpace used to be good for music...
Linked in I use for business
I hate Facebook, no let me be clearer, I absolutely loathe FB with a passion, and yet I login everyday without fail and here is why..

I probably spend most of my time on forums, covering all sorts of interests, but do browse alot of other sites as well. As FB has become more dominant there aren't many sites now that don't have a FB 'Like' button. Despite my loathing of FB that 'FB like' is pure genius - at the click of a button I can redirect all my interests to a single page and receive regular brief updates which I can scan through and either read/not read.
It saves me time...

I have an invite to google plus and have been playing around with it for the last couple of days and despite (my very European) dislikes over googles privacy policy I find that I like it alot..

As you have no doubt read, the key difference is circles, and the way you can organise your friends/occasional contacts etc. The integration between mobile devices and the web is very well thought out as well..

I thought of this site, Id like to see a serious compacts circle where we all were members that I could post to when Im out and about and upload any pics I take with my phone and could receive updates from the site straight to my mobile device.
Using SC on a mobile at the moment is a bit of a pain to say the least..
M4/3 have an mobile app for their site, but it has serious limitations and the trials I have conducted using a test circle with friends via google were very good. I could take a photo, upload it with one click, share it with another click, and then discuss, all via the phone..

On the downside

You need a gmail address - does everyone have one?
Pictures are saved to Picassa, again, does everyone have an account?
Im guessing that a smartphone is needed, Im running with an Android phone that makes it easy, but Im not sure whether Apple or RIM or Microsoft have a google client at the moment, I will look into it..
The convenience works for communication, and for mobile photo's, but if you are taking photo's with your camera, then you still need to go home and upload them via your PC, so might as well just use the SC site?

Google+ is still in trial mode at the moment, and Im sure that there will be more features and tools as we go, Im happy to send the moderators an invite if you like so you can have a look and a play...

Martin,
Thanks... I got an invite from Sue and accepted. I like this idea but so far, the Iphone is not supported. Beings that I live with my Iphone, I'll wait it out until I can use it.
Don

Martin,
Thanks... I got an invite from Sue and accepted. I like this idea but so far, the Iphone is not supported. Beings that I live with my Iphone, I'll wait it out until I can use it.
Don

Don, go to google+ in safari, and make a link on the home page, because it will detect the phone and send you to the mobile site. the mobile web interface is really quite clean and pleasant and the only disadvantage that I can see is that you can't yet upload photographs direct from your phone... and actually... I don't want to, I prefer to "operate" on them first :)

I have an android phone too, and I'm not that impressed with the app at this stage, and additionally, for at least some of its actions, it sends you to the mobile website in the android browser in any case. Its a bit like installing the G+ app in the Chrome browser... its just a link to the site. Nothing special.

I thought of this site, Id like to see a serious compacts circle where we all were members that I could post to when Im out and about and upload any pics I take with my phone and could receive updates from the site straight to my mobile device.
Using SC on a mobile at the moment is a bit of a pain to say the least..
M4/3 have an mobile app for their site, but it has serious limitations and the trials I have conducted using a test circle with friends via google were very good. I could take a photo, upload it with one click, share it with another click, and then discuss, all via the phone..

Martin, so the idea of integrating this is for cell phone pictures only? I'm sure I'm missing more to this concept. Is it sort of like creating a "circle" of friends a la Facebook but with a limited access?

I'm a bit concerned about the capacity to send something from the stream to something called "extended circles". What that means is that you post something and your circles and all of their circles get the message. I can see this being thoroughly abused by spammers. I've sent feedback to Google.

kyteflyer said:
I'm a bit concerned about the capacity to send something from the stream to something called "extended circles". What that means is that you post something and your circles and all of their circles get the message. I can see this being thoroughly abused by spammers. I've sent feedback to Google.

I may be wrong but I believe you would only see it in your stream if you followed the original person sending the message.

I've been trying to find Martin and Herman at G+ with no success. Can both of you put a link to your G+ profiles so we can all link up?

martin (dot) macleodbrown at gmail (dot) com

It is more private as any status updates you make will only go to the relevant people in YOUR circle - not everyone like in FB

BBW - to answer your question, the mobile client allows you to upload photo's direct from your phone, for cameras, you would still need a laptop..

Guys, if you selected "extended circles" from the dropdown options, according to the help files, your post to the stream will go to your circles, *and* anyone in their circles. I remain concerned. Yes... if they are not "following" you, they wont get it... but, for example, I have Don, and Don has some people I don't have. I post to "Extended Circles" and Don (and my others) and everyone in Don's circles (and my others's circles) is theoretically supposed to get the post. I dont like it.

Extended circles
When you share something in the stream, you might notice an option to share with your extended circles. Your extended circles are like your circles' circles. Content shared with your extended circles could appear in the Incoming stream of people who are one degree removed from you with certain conditions--namely that we’ll only include people whose association with people you know is already visible to you.

For example, let's say Nediva is in one of your circles, and Jadon is in one of Nediva's circles. You don't know Jadon and he's not in any of your circles. If Nediva chooses to have Jadon visible on her profile among the people in her circles, and you choose to share with your extended circles, your content could appear in both Nediva and Jadon's streams.

martin (dot) macleodbrown at gmail (dot) com

It is more private as any status updates you make will only go to the relevant people in YOUR circle - not everyone like in FB

BBW - to answer your question, the mobile client allows you to upload photo's direct from your phone, for cameras, you would still need a laptop..

Martin, I've just tried to find you in G+ and it says theres nobody there with that address?

Back