Did Fuji awake the sleeping giant?!

Discussion in 'Fuji X Series News and Rumors' started by Luke, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Near Philadephila
    Devil's in the details and that's obviously a hacked photo of an X100 because the rumor folks haven't actually SEEN anything yet, but if its really 28mm f2-ish in anything like a pancake form, I'm at least looking at it. And if it really has a Voitlander lens with physical distance and DOF scale, they're gonna have to fight me off. But I think that photo is more of a wet dream at this stage than anything else. Still, will be cool to see what it turns out to be...

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  3. Luke

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    True, true. I also don't think they will go that retro looking route. I envision it looking more like a bigger V1 which would keep me happily paying Fuji engineers salaries.

4. carlb

carlb FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 6, 2013
    twin cities, minnesota
    Carl
    Hope they get the target audience better than they did with the V1: Body and lenses almost as big as an OMD EM5, but with half the sensor size? So little customization or control? "Open mouth, shoot foot." (This being said, I do have a V1 that I can't bring myself to get rid of. :) )

I hesitate to see Nikon's gaffs this time. "Looks like a range-finder, Ops like a P&S?"

5. Hyubie

Hyubie FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Weymouth, MA
    The image caption does say, "The dream camera: mockup of Nikon mirrorless camera based on the Fuji X100 done by a reader"

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gary

Gary FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    SoCal
    Gary
    I don't get it. It seems that camera already sorta exists, but it says Fuji on it. If you have a Dream Camera already on a shelf ... better get it.

Gary

• Like Like x 2
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jan 31, 2013
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Isn't Canon the sleeping giant? :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nic

Nic FujiXspot Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    I think that they're both reluctant giants.

• Like Like x 1
  9. carlb

carlb FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 6, 2013
    twin cities, minnesota
    Carl
    "Fire in the lake," anyone? :) Hopefully they don't respond too little, too late.

10. Veddhartha

Veddhartha New to FujiXspot

Feb 14, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    voigtlander? now that would be an interesting partnership

11. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Near Philadephila
    I managed to miss the caption. So I guess I re-stated the obvious...

-Ray

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 2, 2013
    Texas
  13. Luke

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    That's cool and everything.... but why not shove an effing sensor inside. I have the utmost respect for people who still shoot film, but make that same camera with a sensor inside and watch the zombies line up to buy one. The problem with selling a $2,000 rangefinder film body is that there is already a TON of them. Make it a digital version and you WIN. Your only competition is a Leica at 3-5 times the price or an old 6MP Epson that people still buy on the second hand market.

• Like Like x 1
  14. RT_Panther

Feb 2, 2013
    Texas
    Sensor quality when it was released (2000) wasn't as it is today...:D:D:D

15. Luke

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
  16. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

I don't know if either Canon or Nikon qualify as the sleeping giant when it comes to digital. They're pretty much awake and trying to hold their ground. I think Sony is probably more likely the sleeping giant because they have an established mirrorless design, great sensors, Minolta's excellent AF lenses (on their Alpha DSLRs), have the working relationship with Zeiss and cameras like the RX1 show what they can do when they are only half paying attention to things. You get the feeling if they had the right leadership and got their mind in the game they would be a force to be reckoned with.

Of course they lost 70 billion yen in 2012.

17. RT_Panther

Feb 2, 2013
    Texas
  18. nianys

nianys FujiXspot Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    France
    Claire
    Well, looking at the EOS M, Canon is the drunk giant ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Phoenix

Phoenix Ronin-13 Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix
    Could'nt agree more

20. The_Prof

The_Prof FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 7, 2013
    I'd say the trifecta of virtues in the current phase of the Digital Photo Revolution is: Pro-Like (DSLR/pro Rangefinder image quality and flexibility); Portable (light/small); and Shooting Satisfaction (how fun is it to use).

From my own experience, I think Nikon flopped on all three with the V1. It has something of a shot at flexibility with interchangeable lenses, but the selection is so small that it's hard to give them a lot of credit for that right now - and image quality could be a lot better. (The V1 really struggled for me in low-light environments, and even the sharp outdoor pics felt fairly flat.) Going with a small sensor didn't do a whole lot for the portability; the V1 is bulky and heavy, and while the lenses are smaller than M4/3, it's not by enough to make a big difference in carrying around a shooting kit. Finally, it's not even all that fun to shoot for me. Fast autofocus is touted as a benefit in most of the reviews I've read, but at least in my shooting, I never noticed it being significantly faster (mainly indoors, which was probably a factor); trying to get a suitably non-blurry shot indoors was a pain; controls are primitive and not nearly as nice as the X10 or Pentax Q, my two current 'most fun' cameras; and the heavy body and minimal grip made it tiring to aim and shoot.

I haven't played around with an EOS-M, so I can't say how comfortable it is to hold and shoot, or what the image quality's like. But the photos of the body design aren't inspiring (a mostly-featureless block with minimal concessions to a grip, much like the V1), having only two lenses is very limiting (I don't count adapted lenses, since most of the systems can use lenses from their bigger brothers), and the lack of physical controls is very disappointing.