Digital soulmate

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by Billdad, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Billdad

Billdad FujiXspot Rookie

Jul 15, 2014
    Scotland
    Bill Logan
    Having owned many,many cameras in my time, I believe I have found my ideal outfit. It consists of an X-pro1, 18m, 35m and a 60m lenses. the camera is a joy to use and the images are just superb.

I find myself more confident with the less conspicuous size and very quiet shutter, the Q button offers instant access to all important menu options and the B&W images are a delight.

I may consider purchasing a 50-230 for the odd occasional long shot or a legacy 135 Pentax or Olympus

2. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Good innit? I am sitting as I type on a Greek island with the "holy trinity" of 35-50-90 (well, in Fuji terms, 23, 35, 56) in a very small bag with an X-Pro. this is my first outing with the latter and I have found it harder to master than the X-E1 because it is NOT a Leica.

Coming as I do from Leica M I tried to treat it the same, in focusing terms, and was missing focus every time, particularly on portraits with the 56mm. I re-read Rico's excellent guide (you have to love Kindle...), adjusted a setting and stopped trying to compensate and recompose manually, et voila!

Enjoy your set, and post more of the results!

3. Billdad

Billdad FujiXspot Rookie

Jul 15, 2014
    Scotland
    Bill Logan
    Xt-1

Admiring your work, especially the poppy shots with the XT-1 and Olumpus macro, lovely Bokeh, I think I may take the plunge based on all the favourable reports and opening up the world of Legend lenses like Olympus/Pentax glass.

I assume my existing XF lenses are compatible, can you advise your initial thoughts on the XT
    Bill

4. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Well, thank you. The X-T is a really good "companion" to the X-Pro, giving you a "rangefinder" and "SLR" shooting experience with, critically, the same lenses. I ran Leica M and R, or Nikon side-by-side for years without such practical interchangeability.

I like the X-T for its' handling, that superb viewfinder - particularly usable with manual-focus legacy lenses - and the familiarity of layout alongside the X-Pro. I have mentally positioned it for macro, and for wildlife and sports, albeit the 55-200 is good but a tad slow and short; oh for a constant f2.8 and a 1.4x teleconverter - I am compensating at the moment for lack of long-end reach with a 400mm Tokina tele in OM-mount.

Downsides to the X-T? It is getting a little heavy with the grip attached - without, it is very similar to my Olympus OM2 SP. The grip is great for the longer lenses, though.

And battery life is mayfly-like without that extra battery...