Dilemma to resolve by early January...

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by dmward, Dec 20, 2013.

1. dmward

dmward FujiXspot Regular

Nov 12, 2013
    ... I have an X-Pro-1 along with 18-55 and 50-200 zoom and 18, 35, 60mm fixed.
    I used Leica M4s with film when I was traveling. I am going to Panama in late January and am uncomfortable with just a single body.
    So the question is;
    A) another X-Pro-1, there is something to be said for same backup, that's what I do with DSLR.
    B) XE1, it seems to be a very nice companion for the X-Pro-1 and they are inexpensive used. And, would be perfect for the 50-200 since I use that with EVF on the X-Pro-1 anyway.
    C) XE2, I did a comparison between it, XE1 and X-Pro-1 on DP Review site and it doesn't look like there is that much difference. Keep in mind that I have a complete Canon kit and no plans to eliminate it. 5DIIIs, TSE, L zooms, and L primes. The primes are on shaky ground now that I've had the X-Pro 1 for a while. :)

Would be interested in hearing thoughts. As I said, travel and street photography, want to stay light and mobile. I'm contemplating 2 bodies, the two zooms, and the 35 F1.4 for low light. I do like to do HDR to get twilight and other wide dynamic range shots. So will take a gorilla pod along.

Ironically, until this trip, all our travel has been golf focused so I've not bothered getting into street and travel shooting. Really looking forward to this as a new adventure. :)

If you want to get a sense of my photography visit www.dmwfotos.com or www.intimateimagesbydavid.com (There is NSFW here. You're warned. :) )
    And here is link to a gallery of Fuji X-Pro-1 pictures. http://www.dmwfotos.com/galleries/fuji/

2. faberryman

faberryman FujiXspot Rookie

Dec 13, 2013
    I recommend the X-E2. It has faster auto-focusing and a better EVF than the XPro1, and will work much better with your zooms.

3. carlb

carlb FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 6, 2013
    twin cities, minnesota
    Carl
    Hi Dave,

It appears that for most of what you shoot, the X-E1 might be as good a choice as the X-E2 or the X-Pro1.

A place where the autofocus advantage of the X-E2 would come into play is for candid people shooting, such as your concert shots. And then, unless you're finding the 5DIII tiresome for its size as a people/concert shooter, that can fit your need there.

I know we all get GAS (I know I do!), but perhaps the more rational choice for now might be to invest in a new great lens ...

4. dmward

dmward FujiXspot Regular

Nov 12, 2013
    Thanks Carl, I am thinking of the Fuji kit as my personal, walk around, and travel kit. The Canon kit is for assignments, including architecture with TSE lenses. I am thinking about the 23 1.4 and the 56 1.2. They would be similar to the lens complement I had with Leica. 35mm and 85-90mm are a nice complement. I have to say the 18-55 and 55-200 appear to be the perfect travel combination. Sharp, reasonably fast, and relatively small and unobtrusive, especially if I forego the lens shades.

The more I read about the XE2 the more appealing it sounds. For most walking around pix, including the cars at the concourse show last summer, the focus with the X-Pro-1 has been fine. Once they fixed the poor original focus. :)

There is something to be said for getting a used XE1 for now, see how things evolve over the next year.

More noodling. :)

David

5. tomrock

tomrock FujiXspot Rookie

Dec 23, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    Tom Rockwell
    If you're happy with the X-Pro1 then I'd go for a used X-E1. The X-E2 is better, but you can find great deals on E1s used right now. Who knows, it may become more than a backup.

6. entropic remnants

entropic remnants Solving for X

Jul 28, 2013
    If you want a cheap second body then X-E1's are dirt cheap at the moment used.

I have the X-E2 and the AF and other changes to it make it much more of a winner than the X-E1 (which I had also) -- but you are quite right that the image quality is the same across all the interchangeable lens Fuji X-Trans cameras.

X-M1 is a compact alternative and not expensive either. If you don't have to have the viewfinder for everything it's a great second body and that's what mine is. When working on a tripod I use it for the tilting screen.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Reversing the logic for a moment, how about a Fuji M-mount adaptor? Put your M-glass on your Fuji - believe me, it works...

Sent from another Galaxy

8. dmward

dmward FujiXspot Regular

Nov 12, 2013
    Generally, I'm happy with the way the X-Pro-1 focuses both with OVF and EVF. I was doing some testing with a YN-E3 on the X-Pro-1 and it would focus on a ColorChecker chart with it was nearly impossible to see in the view finder because of camera settings. Its not alway quick with the 55-200 and has trouble finding a foreground element I want to have sharp with soft focus background but I can usually trick into getting the focus I want. :)

I expect the XE1 focus is about the same with the new firmware.

I like an eye level view finder. Holding a camera out to use the LCD panel, unless on a tripod, just doesn't work for me. Old dogs new tricks kind of thing.

Good news is I don't have to decide until about the 7th of January. More noodling.

Keep the suggestions coming. :)

9. dmward

dmward FujiXspot Regular

Nov 12, 2013
    Bill, if only I had been smart enough to keep the Leica glass. :-(
    Someone broke into my house and stole 2 M4s along with the 5 lenses I had. Fortunately, the police caught them and got all the gear back. That was enough to get me to sell it all off. I used it so seldom during that period.

10. dmward

dmward FujiXspot Regular

Nov 12, 2013
    Tom,
    One reason for thinking about a second body, in addition to my inclination to not want to go out without backup; You should see my car when I go on a job, is to have the 18-55 on the X-Pro-1, and the 55-200 on the XE?. I like the 18-55 with optical view finder. And I like the 55-200 with the EVF. Reminds me of having a 200mm for my Leica with a Visoflex housing. :)

With that combo, I'd have the 35 F1.4, and 18 F2 for inside when its really dark. The 55-200 in Macro mode seems to do just about as tight an image as the 60mm Macro.

Its interesting that I find myself thinking about a two camera setup. That's how I used the Leica M4s. Now, with the quality of Canon L zooms I tend to use a single body and swap lenses if necessary.

What impresses me are the two zooms for the X bodies. Here is a link to some shots I did while testing the 55-200 http://wardorf.com/bbridge/

Some of those images were shot handheld with OIS on at about 1/40 shutter and 200mm zoom. Not razor sharp but certainly acceptable candids.