Do Highight, Shadow, Sharpness, and Color adjustments affect RAW? (X-E2)

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by mtnmasher, Jan 15, 2014.

1. mtnmasher

mtnmasher New to FujiXspot

Jan 6, 2014
    I was under the impression the Highlight, Shadow, Sharpness, and Color adjustments only affect the jpeg engine, however when RAW is selected (no jpeg output) the options are still active in the Q menu, and at least two of them (Highlight and Shadow) affect the live histogram. I do not see any difference in the histogram when changing the color density (saturation?). I could guess that this is done deliberately and allows you to see what the final image would look like after processing with the adjustments, but on the other hand, why not show what is actually captured, and let you sort out the final image in post? And shouldn't the Color density handling be consistent with Highlight and Shadow handling? I'm sure there is a logical explanation, but it is not obvious to me.

I tried to find the answers in the owners manual, but it didn't help.

2. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    You can find elaborate answers in my books, but the short answer to your question is: NO. :)
    Contrast, sharpness and color are all JPEG parameters that do not influence the RAW or its exposure.

3. ripleysbaby

ripleysbaby FujiXspot Regular

Nov 16, 2013
    I bought your book and IMO it was worth the money just to read the section on dynamic range. It's also given me an excuse to try a little JPEG shooting . (With raw). A good read I'd say :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. mtnmasher

mtnmasher New to FujiXspot

Jan 6, 2014
    I thought your book for the X-E2 wasn't out yet. Is it available?
    '

5. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    There are two other books about the X-E1 and X-Pro1 available that cover JPEG parameters (that apply to all X cameras, anyway) with many examples. :)

6. Judderman62

Judderman62 FujiXspot Rookie

Dec 22, 2013
    what are the details of your book please ?

thanks

7. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger