Downtown LA - Light & Shadow

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by Dacalac, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Dacalac

Dacalac FujiXspot Veteran

May 1, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mike
    • Like Like x 6
  2. juangrande

juangrande FujiXspot Regular

I dig your theme. I really like #3 . # 1, 4 and 5 are up there, too.

3. petach

petach FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 16, 2013
    yep. lots to like...lots to take in, both in terms of light and shadow AND geometry. This is especially so in #1 for the trianglular shape in the road. Top marks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I really like the shadow, contrast, and use of silhouette in these. I like the ones with the silhouette or shadowed people best.

About the only suggestion or feedback I can give is some of them feel a little bit muddy or (too) underexposed to me. My eye keeps wanting there to be more contrast between light and dark areas. An example would be the ground in the one labeled #12; where the rest of the scene is in shadow and dark tones, it seems like the sunlit area should be brighter and more starkly delineated.

Nice set... and I love the exercise of looking for light and shadow too. Good way to spend an afternoon!

5. Hyubie

Hyubie FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Weymouth, MA
    Love 'em!! Gave me something to think about as my shooting time is usually with the sun up high - which goes well with these shots.

Sent from my iPhone

6. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    I agree with Jay. A beautiful set but they also look quite dark on my screen. I wonder how the photos would look with some extra contrast. Otherwise, a fantastic theme/shoot!!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Peter

7. bluzcity

bluzcity FujiXspot Regular Subscribing Member

Jul 24, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    Nice set, love the mood, agree with jloden that they may be a bit muddy. Good work.

8. Dacalac

May 1, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mike
    Thanks for the feedback! Although I was going for a darker look I do agree that some came out a bit muddy. Although when I tried to lighten it up a bit, The shadows weren't as black as I'd like them for contrast. I guess it's a matter of playing about with it a bit more though. =)

9. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Selective dodging and burning, and/or tone curve adjustments are what you want for cases like this where you're trying for very dark shadows and contrast :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dacalac

May 1, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mike
    Ahhh I've never really played with dodge/burn! Thanks for that tip!