Downtown Walk w/the X-E1

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by jloden, Mar 25, 2013.

1. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Thought I'd share a bit from yeterday's walk in downtown Morristown, NJ which has a lot of colonial history and usually plenty of interesting visual features. My wife and I had some time to kill so we walked the town a bit and I shot a few with the X-E1, 35mm & 18-55mm kit lens. This reinforced yet again that for whatever reason the Fuji cameras just seem to suit me better with prime lenses. I did keep a couple from the 18-55 but mostly shot with the 35mm. Shooting the 35mm in tight quarters made me really wish for that 23mm f/1.4 to be out :)

Quick side note - some of these have some unusual cropping. Mostly that was on purpose to remove distracting elements, but I also seem to have accidentally turned on a setting in either LightRoom or in-camera that cropped all the photos to an odd ratio automatically (though it could be reverted in the crop tool). Not sure what I did but I'll figure it out before next time :p

View attachment 11202
    Morristown 2013-03-24 by jloden, on Flickr

View attachment 11204

View attachment 11206

View attachment 11208

View attachment 11210

View attachment 11211

2. pniev

pniev Guest

Not very close to my old hometown Princeton and long ago, but familiar. It is a nice town. Nice photos too!
    Thanks, Peter

3. jloden

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Funny coincidence... I used to live in Lawrenceville and work in Princeton, next to Princeton Junction train station in my case :)

My current company has an office down a bit further south so I was just down that way last week too. Funny to drive through there again recently after living up further North for several years. Familiar but different!

4. pniev

pniev Guest

The world is full of co-incidence indeed!
    BTW: what I every time wanted to say but never said: the Dorothea Lange saying is one of the best sayings I've ever seen!

5. jloden

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Agreed! :)

One day I suddenly realized that thanks to photography I now appreciate things like sculpture on a different level, looking at textures, light, and shapes. Learning to see through the camera helped me learn to see without it, so when I saw that quote it resonated a lot.

6. afkenner

afkenner FujiXspot Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    New York
    Adam
    Yes, indeed it is. I grew up just north of Morristown (in Boonton) and I went to high school in Morristown, so I am very familiar with the area (well, the area as it was oh so many years ago). Terrific colonial history, and you have inspired me to go back to the area for a photo walk in the near future. Thanks for the photos and the personal nostalgia!

7. jloden

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Picked up VSCO presets while it was on sale today, here's a couple shots from this walk (re) processed with the VSCO presets and additional tweaking, just for fun.

LR doesn't track which profile in the history, but I think the Portra 800 was the starting point, with a few additional VSCO toolsets applied such as vignetting, black point, squash highlights and further tweaking.

View attachment 11191

Another with I believe the Kodak Portra 400 preset but "Fuji Toning 2" applied and some other toolset items and tweaking.
    View attachment 11192

8. pniev

pniev Guest

Nice. It's fun, isn't it? The Superia works nicely in certain situations as well.
    Thanks!