DR question

Discussion in 'Coffee with Rico Pfirstinger, Fuji X-Pert' started by Fiddlergene, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Fiddlergene

Fiddlergene FujiXspot Regular

Feb 17, 2013
    Hi Rico,

I've been shooting with the X-Pro1 (and a variety of x mount lenses - prime and zoom) since it first came out. I'm a documentary photographer and most of my work is shot with the intention to convert to b/w, although I do color work also. I shoot everything RAW simply because I think - maybe mistakenly? - that it's better to work with as much data as possible when bending and twisting pixels.

I am confused about what DR actually means for me. I have mine set to 100 and have never thought to change it (I shoot shutter and aperture manually and auto ISO ). So I guess my questions are: 1) Am I missing out on something by not adjusting the DR? 2) What will adjusting the DR do for me given that I shoot RAW and manual?

Thanks.

2. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    You don't need DR for a RAW workflow, so DR100% is fine. For b&w work, you will usually want plenty of contrast and you don't care about blowing 1 or 2 color channels.

There's a comprehensive chapter in my book explaining the inner and outer workings of the DR function with several examples and a Q&A section.
    There's also a free X-Pert corner column about dynamic range expansion, you can find the link in the TOC thread.