Educated guess re XPRO2 timetable?

Discussion in 'Fuji X Series News and Rumors' started by jmcdonald80, Feb 26, 2013.

1. jmcdonald80

jmcdonald80 New to FujiXspot

Feb 26, 2013
    Oceanside, CA USA
    Will be in France from 2nd week of August through end of September this year. Long-time Canon DSLR photographer but love the outstanding noise control, color handling and smaller fast lens by Fuji.

My question for those who have been wth Fuji for some time: Based on their Fuji's record, how likely is the X-Pro2 in the months before we leave in early August?

I suspect that the a new X-Pro2 will have the features and handling that I need, but, if really unlikely that the 2 will to come out in time, I will just go with the X-E1 and use the extra time to get comfortable with it before we leave.

Any help in this decision is appreciated.

2. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    There was speculation by Nippon magazine that the X-Pro 2 would 'come' in June. That said, 1. its just speculation 2. no one knows if 'come' means announced or actually released 3. if its the latter, who knows what the delivery time table would be. If it were me, I wouldn't hold out too much hope that I'd have an X-Pro 2 in my hands by the beginning of August, but that's a relatively uneducated guess.

3. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Old post, I know but this has started to interest me also so I thought I'd revive this one :) I have the X-E1 now and am considering switching to an X100S... but it also occurs to me that an X-Pro2 might be the best of both worlds and contain the features I'm looking for from both.

Anyway, I did a bunch of reading on this same question, and the best guesses I've seen seem to place the X-Pro2 as being announced late this year, available early 2014. That's based on the Fuji timeline between other releases like the original X100/X-Pro and X-E1/X100S. I think after reviewing their history, that seems the most logical and likely scenario. Anyone else have other thoughts?

4. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    That's pretty much what I expect, as well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bobbywise

bobbywise FujiXspot Regular

Feb 15, 2013
    Nantes
    Robert Wisbey
    I'm bad at making predictions, but I'll still chip in :D
    Looking at their existing gaps between different body releases, it may be end of 2013 or beginning of 2014.
    But, I think it could be the summer of 2013 for strategic reasons.
    Obviously, with the X100s just out now, they could bring out the updated X-Pro 1s or X-Pro2 tomorrow. But I think they prefer to have the cheaper first generation X-bodies sell, and get people into using the XF lens system. They also want to have maximum demand for their 23mm fixed lens 'compact' in the X100s so there is maximum uptake from the original X100 users who love that camera. It's probably why they are holding off bringing out the 23mm F/1.4 XF lens. Then as they bring out a couple more XF lenses, I wouldn't be surprised if they announce the next generation X-Pro body. If you're in luck, it might be this August !

6. taz98spin

taz98spin FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    New York, NY
    TAZ
    I think it will be announced at the end of this year, and start shipping out at the beginning of 2014.

However, I'm more eager for the new lenses to be announced!! :)

7. DTwigg

DTwigg New to FujiXspot

Mar 18, 2013
    Mesa, AZ
    David Twigg
    New to this forum and Fujifilm cameras but not to photography. I just bought an X-E1 and and anxious to get more lenses, like the 55-200 but I'm also intrigued by the idea of the X-Pro2. Where can I read more about it...here or else where on the web?

Dave

8. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    You can't as it doesn't exist. However, the best place to follow any speculation would probably be here - http://www.fujirumors.com/

9. Bandrews

Bandrews FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 19, 2013
    As the poster below you said - if it isn't on Fujirumors, it probably isn't happening any time soon. Barely any new products whether its phones or cars or cameras can get to launch without a leak a few months in advance. I too have just bought an XE1 and as long as I can take good photos with it, I shan't be worrying about any new bodies. Like you said, lets be having more lenses.
    If they can speed the AF up with the next gen of bodies (whenever they come along), providing they don't get sucked into the features and gimmicks game like Sony, Fujifilm will have some storming cameras that should stay relevant for a couple of years to allow for more R&D in the lens department.
    It's a shame that so many products now only seem to have a twelve month shelf life. Unfortunately because every company seems to do it, consumers have come to expect it. Such is life....

10. pniev

pniev Guest

I find that site very informative. In fact, the name does not really cover what the site offers. Yes, speculations and rumors can be read there. But Patrick clearly states that it's speculation. There is also a lot of very useful information, especially reviews, such as Rico's xpert corner, Riflessifotografici reviews, and many others. Patrick - who also runs this forum as a hobby, if I understand correctly - seem to have a lot of connections. Since he speaks a variety of languages he also provides summaries of reviews in other languages - most notably spanish and italian - that really help understand the review (google translate is not quite there yet).

I go to fujirumors for the latest news and reviews. I go to this site for learning from better photographers than me and for interacting with fuji-addicts in a friendly atmosphere. ;-) What else is there to wish for?

Peter

11. Armanius

Armanius FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    Counterpoint -- maybe Fuji ought to release the XPro2 sooner rather than later. With the X100S arriving in the market, users will experience a significantly better AF system. Users who otherwise would have purchased the XPro1/XE1 may instead hold out for the Xpro2/XE2 knowing that they too will have a significantly better AF system. That could translate for potential buyers not buying anything for a while. Which could then translate into potential Fuji buyers turning to other products released between now and next year.

If I were Fuji, I would at the very least put in the market by summertime a XPro1S with the phase detection sensor and moving the AF button to the directional pad. And then release the XPro2 next year with a weatherproof body, 20 mps, better hybrid VF, etc, etc, etc.

But I would hold off on releasing the 23/1.4 lens so that people who really want a 35mm EFL will also buy the X100S.