Ef x20

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by gmutt26, Jul 18, 2014.

1. gmutt26

gmutt26 FujiXspot Regular

Jul 18, 2014
    Somerset/England
    I am new to the world of Fuji and lovign my x20 so far!

I take alot of photos of my daughter indoors and i noticed there is a nice small looking flash i can get the EF X20

Is it any good?
    Will it be a good buy for the type of pics i am taking?
    and how do you use it?

2. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I have the EF-X20 flash and find it useful for certain things, mostly as an ultra-portable flash I can carry in my bag everywhere. I keep a pair of smallish radio triggers or a sync cable in the bag so I can fire the flash behind me to bounce the light off a wall or ceiling in a pinch.

The good: simple interface, tiny size, TTL support (on camera only), more power than a built-in flash
    The bad: Doesn't swivel or tilt, slooow recycle times, still a fairly low powered flash

Used in the hotshoe it's going to look just like a pop-up flash only with more power, so I don't find it particularly appealing most of the time on camera. The exception is for vacation photos - I've used it on the camera with a tripod for backlit sunset photos and find it does a nice job of fill flash.

The rest of the time, I really wish it had tilt and swivel for bounce, and the recycle time is so slow that if I'm planning to use a lot of flash I just bring something else. The rest of the time it stays in my bag as a "just in case" flash I can use in a pinch for some fill.

3. gmutt26

gmutt26 FujiXspot Regular

Jul 18, 2014
    Somerset/England
    Great. Thanks. If the recycle time is slow I don't think it will be any good for lighting my daughter indoors as she is running around everywhere

Sent from my iPhone using FujiXspot

4. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    It claims .5s on the Fuji site, but I've never gotten that kind of performance out of it, even with fresh batteries. And they wear down relatively fast since it's only a couple AAA batteries.

Personally I'd probably recommend a larger flash unit with tilt/swivel for indoor lighting of kid portraits, and use bounce flash. It'll look much more flattering than on-camera flash pointed head-on.

5. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Use good batteries like Sanyo eneloop (standard or pro), and there will be no problems with recharging times.

6. f2bthere

f2bthere FujiXspot Regular

Jul 29, 2014
    Flysurfer is right, you want good recharegables to get best results.

Depending on how much power you are putting out and how quickly you are taking pictures (how many pictures in a minute), recharge time may not be an issue.

If it is just for home use and you don't mind the size, the ef-42 will recharge faster, have tilt-rotate, has more power, etc. but it is much bigger and does not have the off-camera slave mode built in. There is the ef-20, which is between the ef-x20 and the ef-42 in size. It has tilt ability (but no rotate) and can NOT be used off camera like the ef-x20.

The huge benefits of the ef-x20 are:

1. It is tiny. You almost don't know you have it so you can always have it with you. It also fits better on a small camera. A big flash looks and feels unbalanced.

2. You can hold it in your hand and point it any way you want while using the flash on your x20. The flash from the camera will cause the ef-x20 flash to fire. Just set the on camera flash for negative compensation and the ef-x20 in slave mode and to a low setting (start at 1/64 and experiment up from there. You will get a feel for it in any setting). This will give you a much better look than you can get with on camera flash and you don't need any extra gear.

It is also more power than you have in the camera flash and the compensation you set in camera and on the flash add together, so you have more options and it is much easier and quicker to adjust flash output on the flash than in the camera as you are running after your kids to get the next picture.

If you also get a canon TTL compatible cord, you can use all the flash features off camera, including a better version of tilt and swivel with lots of flexibility.

Good luck with your choice.