Electronic shutter v mechanical shutter

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by Stevenz, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Stevenz

Stevenz New to FujiXspot

Feb 5, 2018
    I posted a question on the other Fuji forum I use about why my EX-20 flash wasn’t firing and learned (not mentioned in either the X Pro 2 or flash manual) that one must use the mechanical shutter. Don’t know why, but OK. One reply went on at great length on why to never use the electronic shutter except when silence is needed. I don’t believe that Fuji would put it in there for only that reason. May I ask for some thoughts on the electronic versus mechanical shutter decision? Thank you.

2. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Rolling Shutter effect 1. Avoid using the electronic shutter. The disadvantages far outweigh the advantages, in particular rolling shutter effect.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. BobbyT

BobbyT Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    I use the electronic shutter all of the time. It is situational dependent. When I was shooting on film sets, the electronic shutter was invaluable.

There are times which the electronic shutter should not be used. Shooting moving subjects, such as the example Bill posted. Also in fluorescent lighting, and some incandescent bulbs, you will get lines in your photos. And as you found out, the electronic shutter will not work with flash. There are also shutter speed limits on the slow end for the electronic shutter.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    There you go. Two views. Bobby and I tend to shoot different subjects; if I want silence I use an X100F, and I hate to faff with having to adjust my shutter for different lighting.

You choice - and you have one - should be based on your own pattern of usage.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Stevenz

Stevenz New to FujiXspot

Feb 5, 2018
    Yesterday I had a first hand demonstration of the rolling shutter effect. I was taking a photo with my iPhone out the window of an aircraft- I was sitting right next to the prop - and I could see the effect in real time on the phone. It’s very strange.

OK, I think I get the message. I probably shoot more moving objects than I had thought so it sounds like the MS is it for me. Furthermore, I use the 56 1.2 and don’t have the steadiest hand so that’s strike two for the ES. Then there’s the flash bit and that would be strike three.

Thanks for the good information.

Steve

6. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    Bobby said it well - he and I shoot similarly. When you need silence (and your subjects are still), or when you want to shoot a fast lens wide open in daylight (and your subjects aren't going around a racetrack), the electronic shutter pays for itself tenfold. Otherwise, the mechanical shutter wins.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. BobbyT

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    I have the bottom D pad button assigned to switch shutter types so I can switch on the fly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    It's my little flush black front button on the XT1.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Covey22

Covey22 FujiXspot Veteran

May 21, 2015
    Armando J. Heredia
    I don't shoot video, so I reassigned the red button to cycle MS/ES.

10. Lensflare

Lensflare FujiXspot Regular

Aug 6, 2017
    Can someone tell me what the advantage of the electric shutter is please - I have TRIED reading the manual, but to be honest, I don't understand. What is this 'rolling shutter' phenomenon?
    When and why would you use the electric shutter - someone said wide open in bright sun, but why the electric shutter rather than the mechanical shutter? I am probably being thisck, but that comes of not really understanding all the ins and outs of digital photography - i am still in film mode, but with a digital camera. If that makes sense. I am only just starting to trust that I can use above 400 ASA with decent results.

11. BobbyT

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    The electronic shutter can go to 1/32000. So wide open in bright sunlight, you can shoot without ND filters. The ES is completely silent, so on a movie set one can shoot without buying a blimp or any other sound deadening device. Or in any other situation where silence is required. Using the electronic shutter will also save wear on the mechanical shutter, prolonging the life of the camera. You can use it in a variety of situations.

Shooting moving subjects, or in fluorescent lights is where you will find the issues with the rolling shutter. Moving subjects will be warped. Fluorescent lights cause banding lines.

12. Stevenz

Stevenz New to FujiXspot

Feb 5, 2018
    981252E1-A9CD-4B53-9C09-F91CB41C0A1D. I hadn’t heard of rolling shutter either until I posted the question. It was only a couple days later that I saw an actual demonstration of it. I’m posting a photo I took from a turboprop with my iPhone. It was an attempt to get al pic of Mt Taranaki in New Zealand. You will notice on of the props looks radically bent. The cool thing was that I could see the effect in real time on the phone. For some reason unknown to me the camera slows down the motion of the prop so you can see prop as it rotates. I assume the phone has an electronic shutter. This doesn’t answer your question but it shows a real live demonstration of rolling shutter.

13. Lensflare

Lensflare FujiXspot Regular

Aug 6, 2017
    Thanks for both of those replies.
    So, BobbyT, should I be using the electric shutter for general photography of more or less static subjects? Such as landscape type scenes?

14. BobbyT

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    If you don't need a shutter speed slower than 1 sec for long exposures, then it would be fine. Try it and see if you like it. I forgot to mention that the electronic shutter is limited on the slow end of shutter speeds where the mechanical shutter is limited on the fast end. Also, the electronic shutter will not work with flash or flash triggers.