ES question on X-T1 ...

Discussion in 'Coffee with Rico Pfirstinger, Fuji X-Pert' started by Karl, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Karl

Karl FujiXspot Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    Got a question on the ES (or MS+ES) as I've been reading through the updated book, and specifically wondering about the tradeoff between ES and PDAF.

Assuming I'm not doing tracking.. Is the removal of shutter vibration and getting higher shutter speeds a bigger advantage than the faster AF of PDAF?

Or is the shutter vibration small enough that you would only see the difference with going under some quite slow shutter speed?

Trying to wrap my head around what my default go-to settings should be, and this has me wondering the most.

2. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Sans tracking, I don't see an AF difference between ES and MS. Did you find there is a performance difference? That would be strange, as the AF is fixed before the shutter starts working, so as long as there's no AF tracking, I can't see why there would or could be any difference in AF lock performance (AF-S or AF-C) before the camera starts taking the first image.

3. Karl

Karl FujiXspot Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    Rico, I'm just thinking of it in terms of reduced camera vibration when taking the image, not with the AF performance.

Rephrasing the question.. at what shutter speed range would vibration from the shutter be apparent on the XT-1? Wondering if it's in a range where I might see it, and have a benefit from ES in that case.

4. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Have to say, having experimented with ES, I tend to leave it switched off. For the sort of shooting I do it doesn't give any real benefit and the rolling shutter effect is a pain. I initially forgot I had it enabled at Le Mans this year, and suffered the consequences...
    38700738.bb5d3609.1600.
    Rolling Shutter effect 1
    par Lightmancer, on ipernity

5. Karl

Karl FujiXspot Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    I can certainly see the issue with any tracking/larger movement.. :)

Just wondering where, if at all, the vibration reduction comes into play. On some of my old Nikon gear, I know it was in the 1/8 to around 1 sec where you'd want to lock the mirror up first if you were on a tripod.. shorter on longer it didn't really have an impact.

6. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Well, you can test it yourself and find out if you can see a difference. I certainly never saw any (now did I have reason to look). I reckon it depends on how you use the camera, what tripod you use, etc.

Obviously, the slow ES can have negative effects (they should be listed in the book), so I only use it when I really have to.

Unlike system cameras from Sony, Olympus and maybe other brands (or some DSLRs), I'm not aware of any shutter schock issues with the proven shutter that's pretty much in all Fuji system cameras from the X-Pro1 to the X-T10. Haven't seen one single report in any forum in four years.

7. Karl

Karl FujiXspot Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    That's good to know. So the only real benefits are being quiet, which usually isn't an issue, and the higher speeds, if I need them.

8. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    ^ Correct. The times to use ES are when you...

1. Have little / no movement going on, and
    2A. Need silence, or
    2B. Need to shoot a fast prime wide open in broad daylight

9. Lightmancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Exactly. And 2b (or not 2b*) is my personal frustration. I often want to shoot wide open with fast shutter speeds in daylight to isolate and freeze action. That's where rolling shutter kills me.

*sorry, couldn't resist...

• Like Like x 1
  10. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    The next shutter generation will certainly be faster.

• Like Like x 1
  11. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    Sounds like MS will go to 1/8000 next time around, which is great with all that fast glass.

12. Lightmancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Oh yes...

13. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    I still had to use 1/17000s earlier today with the standard 35mmF1.4, so the ES remains useful.

14. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    Absolutely. For something like 4-6 months now, I've dedicated the 2 Fn buttons that aren't my 4-way AF point relocators to White Balance and to Shutter Type, since I use those more than anything else.