ETTR or ETTL DR

Discussion in 'Coffee with Rico Pfirstinger, Fuji X-Pert' started by Ektachrome, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Ektachrome

Ektachrome New to FujiXspot

Nov 2, 2015
    Hi,

Firstly, thanks to Rico for his excellent Xpert Corner series, an Xcellent resource (couldn't resist).

Sorry if this has been clarified before but I'm still a little confused after reading the Xpert Corner on DR and ETTR.

I'm familiar and comfortable with ETTR and use it in my Raw workflow normally. What confuses me is how the Fuji DR modes interact with this.

In Rico's article, when using the DR modes, the technique seems to be almost the opposite of ETTR when using the DR modes (i.e. exposing for the shadows and letting the DR mode take care of the highlights) ETTL, if you will. Or have I misunderstood this?

If this is correct and one does expose for the shadows with DR modes on, two further questions arise - how do the histogram and WYSIWYG EVF setting behave under these modes - are they 'dumb' and the user must understand what the DR modes do, and deliberately expose for shadows on the histogram and WYSIWYG, letting the highlights blow and trusting the DR modes to deal with that, or are they 'intelligent' and realise DR modes are switched on, so the user simply exposes 'normally', or ETTR?

Thanks,

James

2. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    That depends on the camera model that is used. X30 and X100T do DR simulation in the live view and live histogram (which is mentioned in my X-Pert Corner First Looks on these cameras), the rest don't, so always DR100% in the live view and live histogram there.

Because of this feature, the X30 and X100T also use a different Natural Live View than the rest. So the NLV isn't recommended as a "RAW Shooter Mode" in these cameras, because it also displays 2 EV more highlight DR than is actually recorded.

Sadly, I have found that with current firmware, the DR simulation doesn't always work in the X30 and X100T. Sometimes it's simulating the set DR, sometimes it doesn't. It seems to somewhat depend on the setting of the exposure compensation dial, making everything pretty unpredictable. This is a big issue for me, so I have basically stopped liking and using the X30 and X100T until (if ever) this has been resolved.

Also note that DR simulation only works with hard DR settings, never with DR-Auto.

3. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
  4. Ektachrome

Ektachrome New to FujiXspot

Nov 2, 2015
    Thanks, really helpful replies! I generally shoot raw (X-T1 by the way) and ETTR then boost shadows as required in post, so it sounds like I'm already getting the best out of the sensor this way by simply leaving DR100 dialled in?

The exception, having read your second article, would be in dark situations where I wouldn't be able to gauge WYSIWYG exposure, and dialling in DR200 or DR400 would help me 'see in the dark'.

I also think this clarified for me that the DR settings don't affect what's recorded as Raw?

Thanks again.

5. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Exactly. Practically, ETTR is often way to dark in the EVF (and viewfinder brightness can also affect Auto-WB and AF performance!), so while the theory is sound, even RAW-only shooters have plenty of incentive to use DR200% or DR400% in many practical shooting situations. The Natural Live View can also help and add another stop of shadow lifting in the viewfinder.

Personally, in high-contrast situations with lark dark areas, I simply set my exposure manually to the highlights, then double or quadruple the ISO as required while compensating this with a DR setting of DR200% or DR400%. RAW stays exactly the same, but my viewing experience in the EVF improves tremendously.