Excellent news for macro fans (updated)

Discussion in 'Fuji X Series News and Rumors' started by Lightmancer, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Fuji announces two new extension tubes

Compatible with just about every lens, and giving 1:1 with the MC-EX16 and the 18mm and 16-50mm and as near as, with the 18-55mm. The 60mm gives a very useful .76

And the prices are good too!

• Like Like x 1
  2. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Yep, there was some discussion about doing or not doing this due to a potential loss of IQ. I'm definitely getting those rings.

3. Lightmancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    I have the 60mm, and an Olympus 50mm Macro, with OM extension tubes at the moment, to get to 1:1. I'll definitely get the MC-EX16 but I'll not get rid of the Olympus until it proves itself. Ironically, I am writing an article about this as I type.

...now all I need is a 1.4x teleconverter and I'm happy...

4. cherrywood

cherrywood FujiXspot Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Ohio
    Rico, do you know if they will work with the Zeiss X 32mm and 12mm, lens, ?
    thanks

5. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Sorry, I don't know anything about this. You'll have to ask Fujifilm or Zeiss. I very much doubt that it works with the 12mm. It may be useful on the 50mm to get a bit over 1:1.

6. f2bthere

f2bthere FujiXspot Regular

Jul 29, 2014
    Excellent news for macro fans

This is outstanding news. This adds a lot of versatility for close focus with almost all lenses and significantly increases the capability of macro lenses.

Compatibility with Zeiss is in Fuji's interest. They make a bigger profit on tubes than lenses. Few who would pay the premium on Zeiss 50mm would be swayed by "still less than 1:1 while using tubes" if magnification was the main reason. And it is only one factor. We will know soon enough.

IQ remains to be seen. Lenses not optimized for close focus and flat fields (non-macro lenses) are going to be pushed when put on tubes. But my guess is the results will be fine for most purposes and they might be very good.

The 18-55mm, already a very versatile lens, goes to almost 1:1 at the wide end and a still impressive almost 1:2 at the long end! Granted, the working distance is incredibly small at this point :). This also gives you image stabilization for handheld work such as butterflies.

It would be nice to know if they can be stacked. It would also be nice to see the longest working distance and shooting distance for each combination included on the table.

In some ways, this is more exciting for the non-macro lenses. Imagine all the possibilities this adds with something small enough to slip in a pocket.

I can't wait to see how it works with the 35mm.

7. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    It remains to be seen how quality may or may not be an issue with the rings ans different lenses. It appears that Fuji and Zeiss have been parting ways.

8. f2bthere

Jul 29, 2014
    What has happened with Fuji and Zeiss?

9. Lightmancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    So, as promised I've only gone and done another guest spot on Macfilos, this time looking at legacy and native macro solutions for the X-Series. I compare the 60mm macro with an Olympus OM alternative, look forward to the recently-announced MCEX-11 and MCEX-16 and consider the use of extension tubes to get to 1:1 and beyond.

• Like Like x 2
  10. xpatriot

xpatriot FujiXspot Rookie

Oct 18, 2013
    If the rings are stacked can the 60mm obtain 1:1? Or is .76 the most that can be achieved?

Sent from my iPhone using FujiXspot

11. f2bthere

Jul 29, 2014
    Thank you for posting your macro review.

Minox was a great choice of subject. Thanks for that, too.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Roefelke

Roefelke New to FujiXspot

Jan 23, 2015
    Any news yet if all the lenses go with the tubes? Are they stackable? Would love to try them stacked on my 60mm Macro.

13. Lightmancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Fuji say they are not stackable. There is a compatibility chart on the Fuji website.