Expansive Living Room

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Jman13, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Jman13

Jman13 FujiXspot Regular

Mar 7, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    On my way to work this morning, I found this armchair just sitting right in the middle of an abandoned parking lot. I use this lot to sometimes cut around traffic to get to a side road, and it's never been there before...but today, there it is, just sitting right in the middle of the lot. X-E1 with 60/2.4.

lot_chair.

2. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Awesome and surreal - even cooler that you found it like that :)

3. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    A good start in times of crisis.
    Great photo and idea!

4. NigelL

NigelL FujiXspot Regular

May 16, 2013
    I like that alot, great pov and controlled dof to isolate the subject, it just had to be b&w as well :)

Nigel

5. Jman13

Jman13 FujiXspot Regular

Mar 7, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks, everyone! So, I passed that abandoned lot again today to see if the chair was still there. It was, but had either been knocked over by a car or the wind or something. It conveniently fell in pretty much the perfect place compositionally. I did not reposition the chair (on either day). It's as I found it:

lot_chair2.

6. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    You make me curious where it will be tomorrow!

7. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I smell a series coming on... :tongue:

8. Jman13

Jman13 FujiXspot Regular

Mar 7, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Today's Chair Update: Thunderstorms last night have created great water patterns, and sometime between when I drove past it last night and this morning, someone or something had broken the bottom bracing, and stood the chair back up. I'm curious how long it'll take before it disappears.

lot_chair3.

9. NigelL

NigelL FujiXspot Regular

May 16, 2013
    I'm enjoying things so far, it'll be a sad day when the chairs no longer there... ;)

Nigel

10. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    I, too, really like your series - but might well have been tempted to take that chair home. My favorite so far is your first. Great decision to use that tilt shift kind of process. Definitely staying tuned, Jman.:popcorm2:

11. Jman13

Jman13 FujiXspot Regular

Mar 7, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks. Chair in same position today with no real change, so no new picture today. I'll update the series if there are chair developments. :)

I did process a different angle for yesterday's position...a little grittier processing too, so it doesn't quite match the series as well, but may provide a different feel for the current condition of the chair:

lot_chair3a.

12. Jman13

Jman13 FujiXspot Regular

Mar 7, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    As I mentioned, no movement this morning, but I worked late today, and by the time I came home, it had been knocked over again, and moved about 30 feet. Since it was night in an abandoned lot, I used my car headlights for the lighting... I didn't bring my Fuji today, so this is with the OM-D and Olympus 75/1.8, but I wanted to continue the series....

lot_chair4b.

13. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    I like these - especially your late evening. This is beginning to remind me of a Dickens novel.

14. AnnaPo

AnnaPo FujiXspot Rookie

Jun 22, 2013
    Drachten, The Netherlands
    Anna
    I really like the serie. I am very curious how big this chair is ;-)

15. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    When will you publish the book?

16. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    And the movie!

17. Penfan2010

Penfan2010 FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Central-ish NJ
    Ed
    Really great series; gives new meaning to "found images".

18. Jman13

Jman13 FujiXspot Regular

Mar 7, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Stopped by again today. The chair is now being slowly vandalized and ripped apart. One leg has been removed, the cross-brace on the bottom is about 30 feet from the chair, and the removed leg has been stabbed through one of the arms.

lot_chair5.

lot_chair6.