expsoure Compensation dial on X-E1

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by deanmessenger, Mar 23, 2013.

1. deanmessenger

deanmessenger FujiXspot Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Surrey UK
    Dean Messenger
    SOrry if im sounding stupid here, I should know better ive been around cameras for 30 years.
    but im baffled by exposure compensation dial on the xe-1

now one would assume when shooting under full AUto, Aperture or Shutter priority this would have no bearing as the camera would adjust accordingly say if you turned dial to +2 when on one of the auto modes it would then adjust to compensate.
    same if in auto ISO. adjust the dial and ISO adjusts to then bring exposure back to centre

so then camera is in jpeg mode, manual aperture, manual shutter speed iso set at 400

take 1 shot, adjust dial to +2 same shot then -2 same shot, expecting in theory to get a normal expsore shot then one over and one under. however im not getting that. each shot is identical... so now im confused. the histogram offers no help nor the exposure metering as it doesn't seem to alter when going from +2 to -2. So whats going wrong here?
    Or am I misreading how the Fuji exp dial works ??

2. deanmessenger

Feb 24, 2013
    Surrey UK
    Dean Messenger
    sorry ignore me... it works on AE or SP... but for some reason I thought it should work under full manual...purely because if I want to set the camera and a predefined speed and aperture then under and over expose I could do so.. seems you cant , other than doing it via bracketing. seems a little odd really

3. Tdp

Tdp Guest

If you set the shutter speed and aperture manually the exposure comp dial has no bearing on the output, because it has no control over the two aspects that impact final exposure. You have to go old-school and watch the meter in the viewfinder and either adjust your speed or aperture to impact the result.

4. deanmessenger

Feb 24, 2013
    Surrey UK
    Dean Messenger
    yes seems a bit strange really of Fuji to put an EXP dial on when an ISO dial would have been of far more use and maybe use the jog wheel for exp compensation

5. Tdp

Tdp Guest

Oh yeah I agree about the ISO dial, or better yet you pick the f stop and shutter speed and the ISO auto-adjust for you to keep your exposure in check. That would be pretty cool.

6. deanmessenger

Feb 24, 2013
    Surrey UK
    Dean Messenger
    isn't that what the auto ISO does anyway?

7. Tdp

Tdp Guest

Well there is a big DUH for me. You sir are correct.

8. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    In case you guys didn't see, there's another thread or two on this topic; the exposure comp dial only works in some modes, and is effectively disabled in M mode. Very unfortunate for those like me that prefer to shoot in M + auto-ISO, sort of an "aperture & shutter priority" mode.

In an ideal world, the exposure comp dial would work the way my RX1 does, and it'd allow you to set aperture and shutter in M mode, then fine tune the Auto-ISO exposure setting using the exposure compensation dial. That's become my favorite way to shoot because it allows me total control, yet I don't have to readjust for every shot in changing conditions like I would in a completely manual mode.