Final thoughts on the X100S

Discussion in 'Fuji X100, X100S, and X100T' started by TonyTurley, May 9, 2016.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley FujiXspot All-Pro

May 2, 2016
    Tony
    I'm returning the rented X100S today. I enjoyed my time with it. The camera drew the curiosity of my family when I was doing some casual Mother's Day portraits. I barely noticed it around my neck on a 7 mile hike Saturday.

IQ was excellent. The lens/sensor combo has a very nice rendering to it. If Fuji ever releases a 23mm f/2 X-mount, it will be high on my list.

I enjoyed my 5 days with the X100S, but I don't plan on buying one. My X-E1 arrives today, and I'm eager to get started with it. It will be a nice complement to my Oly E-M5.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  2. porchard

porchard FujiXspot Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Devon, UK
    I predict that you're going to like the x-E1, with your Konica lenses.;)
    Are you planning to try any RF lenses?

3. TonyTurley

May 2, 2016
    Tony
    As in Leica RF lenses? No, my pockets are a bit shallow to spring for those. :D

TT

4. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    There are plenty of others. I can recommend Canon LTM, as well as FSU such as the J9. Most notably there are the VÃķigtlander lenses. I have a VC 50mm Color Skopar f2.5 welded to my X-E2 as I type.

You may also find this Interesting: Fuji X-E1 and Legacy Lenses

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. porchard

Feb 3, 2013
    Devon, UK
    No, I was actually thinking of Voigtlander, Canon, and/or FSU lenses, such as Jupiter or Industar. The first two are usually reasonably-priced on the second-hand market, while the FSU lenses tend to be even less expensive, and can be a real bargain - provided that you buy wisely (and have a certain amount of luck). I'd certainly echo Lightmancer's comments above - and although I don't currently have a Voigtlander lens to "weld" to my x-E1, I could be just about to put that right... ;)

6. Lightmancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Good move. Apart from the 50, I also rate very highly the compact LTM 28mm, the "pancake" 35 f2.5 and the 40mm 1.4.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TonyTurley

May 2, 2016
    Tony
    Now see what you guys have done? I have been trying to ignore G.A.S., and you go and be all helpful. :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lightmancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    "Resistance is futile" ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. TonyTurley

May 2, 2016
    Tony
    A bit of a follow-up: the Konica 57mm/1.4 does indeed work nicely on the X-E1, but the lens I've been using the most is the 14mm f/2.8. It took just a few sessions with the X-E1 to convince me to sell all of my m4/3 gear. I like the Fuji IQ and handling a lot. The OM-D E-M5 had been my favorite camera of the past few years, but there's a new tool in my camera bag now.

• Like Like x 1
  10. porchard

Feb 3, 2013
    Devon, UK
    I'm happy to take all the credit for accurate prediction...! :)

I recently took the x-E1 on a short holiday, and it has provided some great images. Well, more accurately, it would have provided some great images if the photographer had been more capable... ;)

11. TonyTurley

May 2, 2016
    Tony
    LOL! The XE-1 has yielded some of the best IQ I've seen from any camera system I have owned - Sony (APS & FF), Pentax, and Olympus have all been good, but I'm really enjoying the Fuji experience . . . so much so that I have a black X100 arriving today. I think Fuji must sprinkle magic pixie dust on their cameras. :)

TT

• Like Like x 1
  12. porchard

Feb 3, 2013
    Devon, UK
    I have an x100 too (not black, silver), and I'm now going to test my powers of prediction again: I predict that you're going to like the x100...! :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 1