First images using the EF-X500 flash

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by Iansky, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Iansky

Iansky FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Grahm
    We had dull weather today that was threatening rain, a perfect day to try and the new Fuji flash and see how it performs on the XT2.

It is a really solid flash and smaller than I expected, it balances perfectly on the XT2 with grip and I am really pleased how it performs and the lighting it delivers.

These are a few shot I took of my wife who is always a willing model.

She 2. She 3. She 4. She 5. She 6. She 7.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Britanica

Britanica FujiXspot Veteran

Sep 22, 2016
    Britanica
    The color is very vibrant and rich. They look great! And your wife seems very confident in her skin, I sense a bit of cat-likeness to her :)

3. Iansky

Feb 1, 2013
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Grahm
    Thanks Britanica, I must add that these were all shot with high speed sync, 200 ISO, 56mm @ f2 using aperture priority no EV compensation and shutter speeds of between:
    No.1 = 1/750 sec @ f2
    No.2 = 1/420 sec @ f2
    No.3 = 1/280 sec @ f2
    No.4 = 1/340 sec @ f2
    No.5 = 1/280 sec @ f2
    No.6 = 1/280 sec @ f2

The flash was faultless and to me has done a great job ( I did have the diffuser fitted to provide a softer light).

My wife has been a model and is perfectly relaxed in front of the camera so requires very little prompting - I am very lucky!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Haswell

Haswell FujiXspot Regular

Oct 20, 2016
    Paul
    Thanks for the shots; lovely lady. How does this compare to your previous on camera flash?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Iansky

Feb 1, 2013
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Grahm
    Thanks Paul, I have an EF-X20 that I use with the 100s and it is a great small flash, I also have a trio of Yongnuo flashes with radio trigger that I use in manual but I have to say this new flash is superb and being able to shoot FP (High speed flash) will certainly be a great advantage for outside portrait work.

It is not a cheap flash and in fairness does feel really well made and not too large on the XT2 so I am sure I am going to use it a lot more and nice to see Fuji have finally joined the Pro flash party!

6. Haswell

Haswell FujiXspot Regular

Oct 20, 2016
    Paul
    I have persevered with my i40 especially since fuji introduced the patch update. I'll have to save my pennies for the x500. Lets see some more of the missus! The camera really likes her.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Iansky

Feb 1, 2013
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Grahm
    I will try and grab some more images of her when we have time, she is so busy it is a challenge getting time together.