First look at the X100T

Discussion in 'Fuji X100, X100S, and X100T' started by Lightmancer, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Biro

Biro Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    • Like Like x 2
  2. LoFi

LoFi FujiXspot Regular

Mar 3, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Eliot
    Tho dpr still lists it as +/- 2 exposure comp, and it's 3 via the pic of the dial...
    Did they just copy paste from S?

I was excited for this when hobby leaked it, as I felt the S wasn't ENUF of an upgrade.... But now... I STILL feel like it's not better enuf than my regular x100 to bother with upgrading

I almost wish they'd do the Leica idea of no rear screen
    No movie mode nonsense at all
    Xt1 sized evf hybrid version, even if it makes it a bit of a bump on thst corner
    Update the lens, even if it makes it 50% more sticky outy the fronty
    And just load up the back with dedicated direct access controls for things

3. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    I don't think DPR had any or much time to actually test a working X100T. There was one single prototype sent to Fuji in Germany a few weeks ago, which broke after 1 day, before they could get it to me. Bad luck. There's also one single X-T1GS in Germany, but still with old firmware (no electronic shutter etc.). As for the X30, I got one of those pretty early (actually two: first a prototype, then a pre-production unit) and am running it with production firmware since yesterday. I went through 4 generations of firmware during my tests. Sadly, I have to return it tomorrow, as Fuji needs every PP camera for the Photokina show. They are strapped.

I also reckon many of the X100T sample images were taken with X100S cameras and modified firmware (featuring Classic Chrome). I know for a fact that such cameras existed. Pre-production samples of the X100T will be available by the end of this month, I will need one of those to form a qualified opinion. As DPR noted, movie quality will be an issue that needs close examination. PP samples of the new lenses are also due for the end of the month, or early October. The zoom is so new, that Fuji doesn't even have their own sample images, yet.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Biro

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    If I were buying an X100 camera for the first time, the T would be the best place to start. But, honestly, I can't see any owner of the original or the S bothering to upgrade. Not with the latest firmware upgrades.

For me, it's likely to be a choice between the X100T and the Panasonic LX100. Sure, two difference classes of camera. But I'll probably only have money for one. So let's see what happens between now and Photokina.

5. tennjed

tennjed New to FujiXspot

Sep 10, 2014
    Hello. New guy here.

The thing I like about the x100T is the effect it is having on the price of used x100 cameras. I just purchased one for less than half of new retail. Amazingly fun, and very unique in the quality of its output.

I own an old M3 and cannot help but wish Fuji could somehow figure out a way to engineer an honest rangefinder into the camera. The one feature of the X100t that caught my eye is the new focusing window that super-imposes on the OVF. If it works, I may eventually bite the bullet and buy it. My greatest complaint about Fuji is the fact that they seem to come up with great ideas, e.g. the split focus screen, but do not seem to implement some of them very well.

6. Biro

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Okay... here's a question for those who have one of the X100 cameras: Is opting for an original X100 - a few can still be bought brand new for about $840 - a logical option? I can't imagine the price of the X100S is going to drop that quickly once the X100T is available. It took forever for the X100 to reach its current price.

7. capodave

capodave FujiXspot Veteran

Jan 31, 2013
    Mission Viejo CA
    Dave Kavlich
    I'm planning to get a gently used one.

8. tennjed

tennjed New to FujiXspot

Sep 10, 2014
    I have had my used x100 for a week now. Knowing what i know now, had I the chance to by a new x100 for $850, I would buy the new one over the used one I did purchase. About the only thing that could make me happier with the x100 would be having the new camera warranty. It is a 12A serial number and I do have some apprehension about the SAB issue.

Besides, the things that would make the x100 a truly great camera, e.g. dept of field scale on the lens, tilt LCD, a truly effective means of manual focus while using ovf, are still missing on the S and T.