Flash extension cable

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by kevwilfoto, Feb 10, 2013.

1. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto FujiXspot Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Frederick, CO
    I normally use some cheap Cactus V4 radio triggers with my cheap flashes, but I'm curious if a hotshoe-to-hotshoe extension cable like the Nikon SC-28 would work in a Fuji hotshoe? Has anyone tried anything like that?

2. AlbertInFrance

AlbertInFrance FujiXspot Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    Morbihan, France
    If you are just interested in triggering the flash then I'd expect any such cable to work. If you are looking for TTL metering and the like then I'd doubt if mixing manufacturers will be a good idea.

3. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    For TTL use, get a Canon TTL extension cable. This will work with Fuji-branded TTL flashes.

4. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto FujiXspot Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Frederick, CO
    Good to know! Thanks!

I wasn't looking for TTL, just a simple cable trigger. I was just wondering if a DSLR brand cable (Canon, Nikon) would be a problem. I think I might have an SC-28 in a box somewhere. I know there are generic cables from unknown asian websites which would be cheaper and less proprietary, but I'd rather find something reliable that I wouldn't have to worry about.

5. AlbertInFrance

AlbertInFrance FujiXspot Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    Morbihan, France
    Unless you particularly need to have a wired setup you could play with the photocell-based triggers that will fire pretty well anything -- cheap, too.

http://dpanswers.com/content/optical_flash.php

Or you can buy hot-shoe adapters with a traditional flash socket.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Hot-Shoe-Adapter-Centre/dp/B00005LEP9/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_1_2

look at the 'often bought together' and 'also bought' bits. These things are so simple there's practically nothing to go wrong. But multiple flashes are a bit awkward with cable.