Flash options for XE1?

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by WT21, Feb 1, 2013.

1. WT21

WT21 FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    I have a 5D with a 430EXii that I really like using for portrait and family work. Four batteries for quick recharge, strong, tilt/swivel for best on-camera use (bounce off the back wall, etc.).

Has anyone used an XE1 or XPro 1 with similar on-camera flash? I prefer good ETTL, and not manual. Any recommendations, and how would the body handle with such a flash on it?

2. taz98spin

taz98spin FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    New York, NY
    TAZ
    I use my Olympus FL-36 flash on my X-PRO1 often, but Fuji makes the EF-42 flash unit which is similar in size and tilt/swivels as well!

3. Iansky

Iansky FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Grahm
    If the X-E1 offers the same fill flash capability as the X100 & XPro-1 then the you can great some great images even with the own brand EF-20 that is small, light and does the job!

4. Rich M

Rich M FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Hawaii
    Richard
    I use the EF-X20 and it's a well built little powerhouse. Adjustable output (without going through camera menus), TTL and can be used as a slave.

It does not tilt but I use it with the Canon OC-E3 off camera shoe cord.

• Like Like x 1
  5. phrenic

phrenic FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Cool, I'm glad that flash works. I have a Nissin Di466 for m43 that I would like to try on my X-E1 but I was a little wary of doing damage. Can anyone else confirm that the voltage won't be an issue? I know there are warnings not to use old flashes on new cameras, wasn't sure if it's safe to use flashes across systems?

6. Armanius

Armanius FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    Hey Rich! Good to see you here. I use the EF-X20 as well (in the rare occasions I ever use flash).

7. Rich M

Rich M FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Hawaii
    Richard
    Armando....I should train myself to use mine more. I can't tell you how many photos I look at and wish there was a little more "sparkle" in the eyes.

(so......off topic.....but did you ever tie the knot?)

8. taz98spin

taz98spin FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    New York, NY
    TAZ
    I also have the Nissin Di466 flash as well but haven't used it on my X-PRO1. But since my FL-36R flash works with no issues, should be the same right?

But I prefer using the EF-X20, even though it doesn't bounce and is less powerful.