flash synch speed

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by abl33, Feb 2, 2013.

1. abl33

abl33 New to FujiXspot

Feb 2, 2013
    hello,
    I have an Olympus EM-5 but have been intrigued by the pictures posted on Serious Compacts from the Fuji contingency, and that's how I ended up here.

I had a general question about flash synch speed. I think the EM-5's top synch speed is 1/250 and I just read that the X100s has a top speed of 1/1000. I remember my Panasonic LX-3 had a top speed of 1/2000 which I used for taking fun pictures of water droplets. Why do these higher end cameras only have these relatively slower speeds?

Thanks! Look forward to seeing your great work

2. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto FujiXspot Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    Well, you can use high speed sync mode (FP mode) with Olympus flashes like the FL50/FL50R and FL36/FL36R but the E-M5 can't sync with standard (dumb) flash units that don't have the dedicated FP mode for high speed sync. As for why these X series cameras can do it, it's the design of the shutter among other things ... the X100, X100s, X10, and X20 aren't the only small cameras that can sync at high shutter speeds with "dumb" flashes.

I've taken quite a few images with the X10 and a standard auto flash at shutter speeds between 1/400 and 1/1000 for daylight fill. I'm sure others will post even better examples, but here is one that I took of my daughter last year:

DSCF1033-XL.

3. abl33

abl33 New to FujiXspot

Feb 2, 2013
    cool picture!
    thanks!