Flickr Users: BBCode, not HTML code

Discussion in 'Site Information, Help, and Feedback' started by kyteflyer, Mar 19, 2013.

1. kyteflyer

kyteflyer FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Sue
    I am finding it really frustrating that people are still posting HMTL code from Flickr. Amin has detailed the method in his post https://www.fujixspot.com/showthread.php?7-How-to-post-images-in-forum-threads and yet, people still seem to be unable or unwilling to do it (Thanks, Lili, for changing)

I suspect it just doesn't occur to many people to make that change (and yet, BBCode is selected by default, so some must be choosing to use HTML) because in a normal browser with the normal theme, nothing seems to be amiss.

But, let me tell you, your photographs look TERRIBLE in the small screen theme, and many of us are using it, because we don't want to have to scroll when we are on 10-13" screens. Or smaller. We are grateful to Amin for having these themes, and being able to view images properly would be icing on the cake.

PLEASE!

2. drewbot

drewbot FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Toronto
  3. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I suspect it has a lot to do with the fact that Amin's suggestion is in one post, which many people haven't seen. I used to post all my images as HTML embedded and continued doing so for quite a while, since I'd never heard of the small screen theme (and still don't know what that refers to, since I use the app and/or Tapatalk to read the forums on my phone and tablet). The only reason I switched to BBCode was someone mentioned it obliquely in another thread on mu-43.com and on testing I discovered it allowed for better integration with the dedicated apps.

Anyway... I've seen at least a couple frustrated posts now from people that seem to feel like other users are using HTML embedding out of sheer obstinacy or a malicious desire to frustrate tablet users. I just wanted to reassure you that's most likely not the case ;) If you remain patient and take the time to let folks know about the issue when you run across it, I'm sure with a little time it'll sort itself out and most will switch over to BBCode embedding.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Pav

Pav FujiXspot Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Detroit
    Pavlos
    That link in the first post actually doesn't work for me. But I've been using BB from flickr anyway. I choose large or med - does that matter?

I'm not sure of that either. I'm just on a PC using Firefox.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jan 31, 2013
    Boston, MA (USA)
    No doubt - Only a small minority of members will read the thread I posted or this one. It isn't about willing or able - it's about being aware of the issue.

For a long time, Flickr didn't provide BBCode, which is why we allowed HTML (unlike most boards) in the first place. A lot of people just got used to using HTML.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jan 31, 2013
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I fixed it just now.

Large and medium are both fine. I usually choose large for images in landscape orientation and medium for images in portrait orientation.

• Like Like x 1
  7. kyteflyer

kyteflyer FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Sue
    Thanks for that explanation. I've only been with Flickr since BBCode was available, so I suspect that is a very likely reason for its continuation.

8. pniev

pniev Guest

Those are wise words. Re-appraisal is a good way to control emotions. ;-)
    Thanks to Kyteflyer's remark I became aware of the issue. I did not even know what BBcode was (I still don't)....and was not aware of a post by Amin. Unfortunately I cannot keep track of everything.

9. Tdp

Tdp Guest

I didn't even know what I used until I just checked. It is BBCode btw.

10. Tdp

Tdp Guest

I use an iPhone, a Nokia 920 Windows 8 phone, a MacBook and an iPad. I've never noticed an image viewing problem when people post using HTML viewed from any of these devices.

11. carlb

carlb FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 6, 2013
    twin cities, minnesota
    Carl
    No HTML code. Bad Karma! (Continuing on my "Karma-kick")

It's like that old guy going slow in the left lane with his blinker on - for 47 miles. (Reverse that for the Brits. ;) )

12. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Please don't call us "Brits"... :(

Sent from another Galaxy

13. pniev

pniev Guest

Would it be an idea to send a standard welcome mail/post to newcomers with links to "recommended-posts"? I would do it myself if I would have been more knowledgeable about the forum. But that's going to take some time (I also made the HTML mistake). If there is such info already, I have to admit that I missed it.

14. pniev

pniev Guest

Well, as a continental european I will not start about miles and gallons. :D

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jan 31, 2013
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Good idea. I'll draft something up.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

• Like Like x 2
  16. carlb

carlb FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 6, 2013
    twin cities, minnesota
    Carl
    Sorry Bill, didn't realize that might have a negative connotation. So "Brit" can be a bit derisive, I take it? I certainly won't use it then.

17. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Many thanks, Carl, greatly appreciated. I know you didn't mean it pejoratively.

Sent from another Galaxy

18. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    well I do learn something new every day. So is British or Briton correct/preferred when one doesn't know the nationality? And please don't call me a Yank :drinks:

19. Pav

Pav FujiXspot Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Detroit
    Pavlos
  20. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    yup....I think so. Please, no links to Yank awards (if there is any such thing!)