Flowers with the X-E1 and XF 55-200mm

Discussion in 'Nature' started by entropic remnants, Oct 1, 2013.

1. entropic remnants

entropic remnants Solving for X

Jul 28, 2013
    I took the X-E1 and the 55-200mm out for a run at Longwood Gardens and got these. I needed some more time with the lens before I use it at a wedding and I did some other shots there to test things but most of them aren't attractive, lol.

Really think this lens is a winner -- and has the reach and close focus I need for this. Very few of these have any cropping for anything but presentation -- the lens gets in close enough for nice flower shots.

I think the bokeh on this lens and camera are great also. This combo feels image-wise a lot like my D7000 and 70-200mm VR II did -- only it is way WAY lighter, lol.

10046774875_7fa63b32ea_b.
    Spiky Red by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

10046810436_6aaa9b8ce3_b.
    Pink! by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

10046774465_9672b471f3_b.
    Water World by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

10046773805_b313ee7e24_b.
    Fire in the Sky by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

10042160666_dc1dc01115_b.
    Black-and-White Beauties by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

10030613135_9c5cdc7356_b.
    Bathing Beauty by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

• Like Like x 7
  2. Penfan2010

Penfan2010 FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Central-ish NJ
    Ed
    John - beautiful, beautiful set of photos. The sharpness of this lens is amazing, and the way the colors are rendered very well. Nice work on the BW conversion, BTW. You clearly are not missing mu-43!

• Like Like x 1
  3. entropic remnants

Jul 28, 2013
    Not entirely true, lol -- I wish the Fuji's had the touch screen focus point selection of the micro four thirds, lol. Image-wise though, I do like the Fuji better I have to admit.

Thanks for the comment on the photos!!!

4. juangrande

juangrande FujiXspot Regular

Wow! That third one and last one are something! What were the settings and PP?

• Like Like x 1
  5. OdzBodkinz

OdzBodkinz FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 17, 2013
    Excellent set. I used my 55-200 for some florals this weekend too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. flash

flash FujiXspot Regular

Mar 15, 2013
    Great shots John. I got mine today. Looking forward to putting it through its paces.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  7. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    John, you make me want this lens sooner rather than later. Beautiful photos.

• Like Like x 1
  8. entropic remnants

Jul 28, 2013
    First off, thanks all.

As far as camera settings, click through those to flickr and have a look at the EXIF data -- it's all there.

These were my first real foray into RAW shooting with the Fuji in preparation for a wedding I'm shooting in two weeks. I'll shoot that RAW plus monochrome JPG's (the bride wants black and white) to ensure I get what I need. Where the b/w JPG's look good, that is minimal post for me but if I have a problem or need a color shot I'll have the RAW.

With that in mind, the PP on these was pretty much to get a rather flat look with everything inside the histogram boundaries, and do any pre-sharpening (very little needed) -- and then feed the resulting shot to DXO Film Pack 3 where I generally selected either Ektachrome, Velvia, or FP 100C slide film treatments. I don't remember off the top of my head which I used for which -- it's not scientific, just trying a treatment and saying "Yeah, that's it!" or "Meh", lol.

The monochrome was done entirely inside of Lightroom without a plug in. There was some brush work to get things where I wanted them which was somewhat high-key but with some "solidity" in the stems and what not.

Sorry I can't be more specific but my approach isn't formulaic enough to just give you a recipe. There's general stuff I do but then just tweak until it fits what I imagine it should look like.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hyubie

Hyubie FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Weymouth, MA
    Beautiful. :eek:mg:

• Like Like x 1
  10. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Gorgeous! I really like #2 "Pink!" and the "Bathing Beauty" in the last one. Really nice light, color, and detail for both of those! You can see so much texture and delicacy in the petals along with all that vibrant color.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gary

Gary FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    SoCal
    Gary
    +1

• Like Like x 1
  12. entropic remnants

Jul 28, 2013
    • Like Like x 2