Ricoh Ricoh GRD IV versus Sony NEX 5N with Carl Zeiss Distagon lens

Okay, not a serious comparison but it did kind of surprise me just how capable the Ricoh is for landscape/nature work.

Ricoh GRD IV handheld but with IBIS turned on.

6483915753_ac72322c48_b.jpg

Untitled by norman j shearer2010, on Flickr

Now for the 5N image shot with the Carl Zeiss Distagon 28mm, tripod mounted

6471202575_db82e18ee8_b.jpg

Eyebrook Reservoir by norman j shearer2010, on Flickr

I think if the Ricoh GRD IV had a tilting LCD I'd use it a lot more for these kind of shots. Maybe I should get a VF for it..

Norman, thanks for both of these. It's good to see what the more diminutive GRD can do in color. The colors and light quality in that first one steal the show, I think.

I've only tried a camera with a tilt screen once - it was Don's NEX 5, and I have to say that I did really like having it.

Hey Norman,

I don't think the photos are taken at the same time, what happened to light on the tree at NEX-5n shot?
Can you please share the exposure and settings, when you were capturing the images?

Regards

Hey Norman,

I don't think the photos are taken at the same time, what happened to light on the tree at NEX-5n shot?
Can you please share the exposure and settings, when you were capturing the images?

Regards

Don't take it too seriously. I shot for a few minutes with the GRDIV then switched to the 5N so some time has lapsed and it is possible the light faded a little. However I should add that I did a lot more in the way of pp with the 5N image and I think I was trying hard to get the sky detail in and keep the colours as real as possible. With the GRDIV image it was a quick tweak of the colours and job done. I tend to not worry about realism so much with the GRDIV because its sensor is smaller so it tends to draw with a bigger brush and the finer details are more artistic than real.

Hey Norman,

Regards
There is a dramatic difference in the light between the two, one has sun highlights the looks for more muted from the overcast

Back