Sony 200mm lenses for NEX 3

stevenrdowns

Hello, this is my first post, so apologies for my camera novice-ness!

I bought an Nex 3, six months ago...and am really liking it. I definitely made the wrong choice in that I have no IR...but overall, I'm really happy with the system...apart from the £600GBP required to buy the SEL18200.

So...I bought this -> TAMRON | AF 55-200mm F/4-5.6 Di II LD MACRO (Model A15) off Ebay for around £60...and hooked it up with a £25 EOS-NEX mount adapter.

I haven't seen much discussion about 200mm (or larger) lenses for NEX systems, so am just wondering if anyone else has much experience or recommendations.

Ultimately, i'd love to have autofocus...but i think this highly unlikekly unless I fork out £150 for the LA-EA1 mount adapter...so just curious to see if anyone else has done anything similar.

my experience

Hello, this is my first post, so apologies for my camera novice-ness!

I bought an Nex 3, six months ago...and am really liking it. I definitely made the wrong choice in that I have no IR...but overall, I'm really happy with the system...apart from the £600GBP required to buy the SEL18200.

So...I bought this -> TAMRON | AF 55-200mm F/4-5.6 Di II LD MACRO (Model A15) off Ebay for around £60...and hooked it up with a £25 EOS-NEX mount adapter.

I haven't seen much discussion about 200mm (or larger) lenses for NEX systems, so am just wondering if anyone else has much experience or recommendations.

Ultimately, i'd love to have autofocus...but i think this highly unlikekly unless I fork out £150 for the LA-EA1 mount adapter...so just curious to see if anyone else has done anything similar.

I have a 70-150mm Milolta/Vivitar that I sometimes couple with a 2X multiplier and am getting great shots.

Lenses this long and longer take a bit of practice, especially when shooting in manual mode as the mistakes are multiplied. I have screwed up a few shot by not being patient, which can be tough when in the moment.

The biggest thing is to get a comfortable holding stance that will keep down the movement as you are taking pics. A tripod will be of great help, but not always usable.

Get out there and enjoy your lens. I think you will find the NEX a great platform and the longer zooms a nice option.

I've got a Vivitar 28-210mm for my NEX-5. I'm still getting to grips with it, it's much happier on a tripod or worktop or something. I use an adapter ring so I can fit FD to NEX Emount. It hasn't been out to play much yet as I haven't really had the time, I think I need to take it out for the day, tripods, rucksacks, flask of tea, that sort of thing. Treat it to an ice-cream.

Got a new 75-300 f-4.0-5.6 tamron for my Nex-3 only have the cheap adaptor no af. can't seem to get good focus on anything. seems that you lose 3f-stops with the adaptor so I have been told. Next I will try going Macro to see if I can achieve crisp focus. bought a used tamron 70-210 f-1.4 3.5 it seems to really do well but still some focus issues not quite as bad as the first lens but the sony 18-55 kicks their butts even in MF. Any suggestions will be greatly appreicated thx.

Back