Fuji Lenses With WR for X-T1

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Biro, May 18, 2014.

1. Biro

Biro Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Have I missed something or has Fuji yet to introduce any lenses with WR to go with the X-T1 body? I would have thought at least one wide-to-normal zoom would be on the market by now.

• Like Like x 1
  2. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    As usual, the lenses are delayed.

The WR kit zoom should be available in about a month.

• Like Like x 1
  3. romi.gilles

romi.gilles FujiXspot Top Veteran

May 17, 2013
    back in Crooklyn
    will the 16 be WR? will any future primes be WR for that matter?

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

4. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    No. OTOH, Fuji could just print Weather Resistant on all existing primes, as there's no visible difference between WR and normal lenses. At least I didn't spot one so far. I guess that would make many people happy, as all they care about is the imprint, not the feature. Experienced users know that it's not a probleme to shoot in heavy rain with all existing X cameras and lenses, WR imprint or not. It's basically marketing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    Rico, I love your input!:biggrin_old:

6. romi.gilles

romi.gilles FujiXspot Top Veteran

May 17, 2013
    back in Crooklyn
    i've used the 14 and 35 quite a bit in rain and snow. i thought i'd have a problem with the 14 being it has the sliding ring focus. but it was with the 35 that i had intermittent issues with, both when i had the xe1 and also on the xe2. i couldn't capture an image, and when manually focusing, it had a sort of skipping behaviour. i was only able to remedy it by mounting the lens back into the bayonet and trying again.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

7. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    How cold was it? Temperature may have been a factor here. I would assume that the cold contracted the material in a way that the lens lost contact with the camera. This actually happens with some lenses that are misaligned. That's a production error, so I would have the lens checked in order to avoid this in the future. I remember reading about users who had this issue with their XC zooms, weather or temperature not playing a role.

If you could not take an image, you probably had Shoot Without Lens set to Off.

8. bartjeej

bartjeej FujiXspot Regular

Mar 31, 2013
    I think weather sealing is still valuable when it comes to dust, and torrential downpours. Check out ming theins test of the e-m1 weather sealing (putting it under a running shower for 10 minutes). Then try and do that with any current fuji x body/lens combination.

9. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    If you intend to take pictures while you are in the shower, WR lenses and bodies might be useful. For the rest of us, the normal bodies and lenses will do just fine.

10. BobbyT

BobbyT Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    Normal bodies and lenses are not fine for everything. Maybe for everything you shoot. If I use Fujis for off-road events, they will have to be covered with plastic bags, o rings on the lens at the mount area, uv filters, etc. I wouldn't trust them to stay functional in heavy downpours either.

11. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    I simply use them in any situation, no problems so far.

Btw, Fuji is not disclosing the level of weather sealing of their camera and upcoming lenses (there is an international norm for that). Why? If I had to guess, I'd say because that number is less than impressive. Ming might be in for an expensive shower if he plans to repeat his experiment with an X-T1 and 18-135mm zoom.

The only reason Fuji is printing WR on their new camera and lenses is because the competition does it and because customers kept asking for this feature (even though 95% don't need it). That's why it's basically marketing, and as we can see, it works.

Sadly, the sealing resulted in inferior ergonomics, like the mushy selector buttons and a command dial that cannot be depressed.

• Like Like x 1
  12. cwolffensperger

cwolffensperger FujiXspot Regular

Oct 26, 2013
    Iceland
    Chris Wolffensperger
    Welk, the 35 extends and retracts quite a bit when focussing, so I would be careful with rain and dust...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

13. BobbyT

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    Shoot an off-road event. Then clean the mud, dirt, and dust off the camera under running water and report back to us. That is how I cleaned my 1D Canon bodies. It seems with Fuji that covering the bodies with ziplock bags, lenses with plastic, uv filters on the front elements, and rubber o rings on the lens body where it mounts to the camera would be a wiser way to go. The Fuji cameras are fantastic, but I'm not going to risk them being damaged because they "should" be able to handle every condition.

14. Biro

Biro Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Almost any serious camera can take a bit of light rain or snow. To me, weather resistance doesn't mean waterproof but it does mean (at least to me) that I should be able to use the camera/lens combo in heavy rain, snow and dusty conditions. Maybe wash the camera off under a mild flow of water from the faucet. But I don't think a WR body or lens should be expected to handle complete immersion in water, especially if there's substantial water pressure. Still, a friend of mine dropped his Pentax K-10 into a fresh water brook a number of years ago. It was completely immersed in the water for, say 10 to 20 seconds. The camera was fine.

15. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    The main question is: How watertight is the X-Mount bayonet? Water entering the camera body through the mount doesn't sound too promising.

16. BobbyT

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    I've always used o rings around the lens at the mount for that very reason. Even with 1D bodies and sealed L lenses. Never hurts to have extra protection.

17. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Yep, that makes more sense to me than trusting the Weather Resistant imprint on the lens.

18. BobbyT

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    The canon lenses have a visible gasket at the mount. But yeah, it makes more sense to have the extra protection. Especially with the cost of the o rings being in the $1-$2 range.

19. kivis

kivis FujiXspot Rookie

Dec 10, 2015
    South South Florida
    Kivis Shorter
    I live near the Ocean in a humid climate. The XT-1 and 35/2 WR are attached to my body at all times.