Fuji vs. MFT?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by madogvelkor, Mar 4, 2013.

1. madogvelkor

madogvelkor New to FujiXspot

Mar 4, 2013
    So, apart from looking really sweet, what do the Fuji camera offer over those of a similar size from Panasonic or Olympus? Especially given the smaller sensor?

2. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    Arguably better IQ and high ISO performance; increased dynamic range, traditional external controls, Hybrid OVF/EVF (on the X100/X100S/X-Pro 1). They also have slower AF, arguably questionable RAW support and the lenses are typically larger than their m43 counterparts.

3. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    you should specify which Fuji you are referring to. The X100 and X100 have a sensor that is larger than mft.....it is APS-C size. So should we assume you are referring to the X10 or X20?

4. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    I misread the OPs post. I thought he/she was saying the m43 sensor was smaller, but I now see that indeed it seems like the X10/X20 would be the Fujifilm cameras that are being referred to.

5. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. FujiXspot Veteran

Jan 31, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    It's interesting to me that these kinds of threads (and I'm guilty of it myself, God knows) are always stated as x vs y, as if it is necessarily one against the other.

I've just got my X100, and while I already like it a lot, and find it's image quality really wonderful, I don't think my E-M5 has anything to apologize for image to image compared to it. Sensor size may make a difference, but APS-C is not really all that much bigger than 4/3, except in the longer dimension. Many, like me, frequently crop 3:2, finding it often too long and skinny.

The lack of a low pass filter in some of the X series (the X100S, though not the X100, and the two X mount cameras) probably has a more pronounced affect on resolution than the small jump from 4/3 to APS.

As for the vs. part of things. If I had to choose one camera to keep right now, it would be my E-M5 for its overall superior functionality. And it's image quality is stunning. I'd expect the same for any of the cameras that share its sensor.

6. zapatista

zapatista FujiXspot Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Denver
    Mike
    Nothing like a little dpreview style angst to liven things up.

7. Lawrence A.

Jan 31, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Huh?

If you're suggesting that my comment was a hostile like so many at DPReview, I have to disagree in the strongest possible terms. But I'm not sure you're saying that or referring to the X vs Y syndrome.

Please clarify.

8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Near Philadephila
    I has the impression he was just offering that up as an explanation for why it always seems to be X versus Y. Not accusing you, but trying to answer the question that was implied in your post.

But I could be wrong.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lawrence A.

Jan 31, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    You're probably right.

10. zapatista

zapatista FujiXspot Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Denver
    Mike
    The X camera is better than Y camera seems to be about 70% of all dpreview forum activity with maximum hostility. I'm guilty of it too at times. BTW, Go Lobos! I lived in Albuquerque for over a decade. :)

11. madogvelkor

madogvelkor New to FujiXspot

Mar 4, 2013
    You're right, I should have been more specific. I was thinking the x10/x20 vs. the Olympus PENs or Panasonic GFs. The APS-C sensor seems like it would be obviously better when comparing the X100 or X-Pro to the OM-D (which seems to target the same market).

12. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto FujiXspot Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    Given that you're asking about the X10/X20 vs m4/3, my personal experience is that the X10 (and presumably the X20) hold up very well against the older 12mp m4/3 sensors and -- to a lesser extent -- the new 16mp m4/3 image sensors.

A snapshot of my son that I took with the E-PM1 (available light and bounce flash):
    P7100254-L.

A snapshot of my son that I took with the X10 (available light and bounce flash):
    DSCF1858-L.

Honestly, if you're just shooting for display on the web or for prints up to 16x20 inches then you probably won't see much difference between the image quality from a X10 and a m4/3 camera up to ISO 400 or possibly 800 (depending on the quality of your exposure). The m4/3 sensors have a little extra headroom for rescuing an otherwise nasty exposure in the ISO 800 to 1600 range (older 12MP m4/3 sensors) or 800-3200 range (newer 16mp Sony m4/3 sensor) but I personally keep the X10 in the ISO 100-800 range and stay away from the higher ISOs with this camera. That's not to say ISO 1600+ is unusable on the X10 ... it's just that I prefer the look of my ISO 100-800 images from the X10.

Both the X10 and the various m4/3 cameras are capable of producing good results and bad results ... that part is up to us as photographers.