Fuji X concerns

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by deevee, Feb 1, 2013.

1. deevee

deevee New to FujiXspot

Feb 1, 2013
    I've been following the X system with interest, from the X100 to the Pro then to the E1
    I'm still on the fence for 3 major reasons:
    1) the AF is sub par compared to the MFT or NEX crowds
    2) the LCD seems to be not refreshing as quick when there's some movement (annoying but can still live with it)
    3) no proper support of RAW from Lightroom + CS6, my main workflow; I just don't care for how good the JPGs are for I only shoot RAW then develop them through Adobe tools
    I hope Fuji addresses these issues in their upcoming releases / incarnations or firmware update;
    3) is certainly a deal breaker for me by far (I'm not gonna use another software to convert RAW, a real nuisance as far as my workflow is concerned)
    Time will tell and I hope Fuji is listening
    Cheers :cool:

2. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    welcome deevee. Have you tried processing a RAW file in Lightroom or just read about the issues? I'm not trying to be mean or snarky.....that is NOT what this website is about. I don't shoot RAW a lot, but when I have, the Lightroom works FINE for me 99% of the time.

Most of the complaining I have heard has been about sharpening in extreme cases. Frankly, these camera and lens combos create such sharp images I wonder why anyone needs to sharpen them any more to begin with. Fuji have given all the interested software makers all the algorythmical data (I'm 110% sure that is spelled wrong...if it's even a word) to help process the files, but most of the software makers have not felt that there were enough X-trans sensors out there to justify the work on it.

As they will soon find out, there are plenty. And if Adobe and Apple don't get their houses in order, then Capture One will take all their X-trans business away.

3. Tdp

Tdp Guest

Deevee,

What do you shoot with now?

4. Iansky

Iansky FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Grahm
    I only shoot Raw with my X100 and use Lightroom 3 as my initial processing - I have never encountered any problem using my Raw files, I have it set so that my imported images are converted to DNG and it works fine.

5. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Can't see any refresh rate problems with the latest firmware update for the X-E1. LR4 is my favorite converter for the X100 and X10, XF1, X-S1. For X-Trans cameras, LR/ACR is mostly okay, too, but I prefer SP5 or C1. I am also using RPP once in a while, and I'm beta testing AccuRaw.

6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Near Philadephila
    Ian, the X100 uses a standard Bayer sensor and never had any problems with its raw files. The EXR files from the X10 have problems with raw because of pixel binning and the X-Trans files from the X-Pro and XE1 (and coming soon to the X100s and X20) have had problems because of the unusual filter array in the X-Trans sensor. How serious this issue is and how much it bothers folks varies a lot by user, but the X100 never had any issues to begin with. So if you DID have issues with your raw files, it would have been news!

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  7. jhowell39

jhowell39 New to FujiXspot

Feb 2, 2013
    norcal
    I'm kind of surprised that Fuji have played their algorithms so close to the vest. The onboard jpg engine with the new sensor is gorgeous. It would be stunning to have the top five or six editing tools using a similar, but adjustable process.

8. raaisma

raaisma New to FujiXspot

Feb 2, 2013
    In the latest article from Reid Reviews which I'm subscribed to, he compares extensively RAW conversions between LR, Capture One and Fuji Raw File Converter EX. In conclusion, all programs have some major advantages and disadvantages. The best RAW conversion comes from Capture One and FRFC EX with some caveats because of they have the best algorithms to interpret X-Trans sensor. LR does not fall far behind though but Adobe will update its RAW converter to take advantage of that amazing sensor.

9. deevee

deevee New to FujiXspot

Feb 1, 2013
    from Imaging Resources interview, looks like Adobe doesn't want to spend lots of resources on the raw conversion as yet due to the limited market for the Xtrans sensor
    DE: There have also been some reader questions about the raw file format for the X series, and what the status might be in getting Adobe to improve their converter for those, and Apple to develop one in the first place.

KB: As far as I understand it, we have given each company all the algorithmic information that they need, and which they have requested to be able to make a more powerful and accurate RAW converter process. We've given them everything that we possibly can give them to be able to work with it, and we've had conversations with people about why it's not happening. What we've been told is that it's because there aren't enough of these particular X-Trans cameras on the market for software companies to justify the development expense. So the more cameras that are out there, the more resources they'll be able to put towards making sure that the processor is available and accurate.

Capture One is coming out with a very good RAW processor for X-Trans, however. [Ed. Note: This has been released since our interview.] I've just started using Capture One Pro 7.0.2 myself. It's supposed to be very, very good for our X-Trans sensor. So I'm personally looking forward to seeing more of what they've came up with, because I know that we've also shared our algorithmic data with them as well.

10. cbtguy

cbtguy New to FujiXspot

Feb 3, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    No real problem with RAW in Lightroom 4

I agree with everything stated here except RAW support. It would be better to have "actual" RAW support but I have had no problem at all in Lightroom 4 with my X-E1 RAW files.