FUJI X series Wide Angle Options

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by lostatplay, Feb 28, 2013.

1. lostatplay

lostatplay New to FujiXspot

Feb 28, 2013
    I am looking to get a 24 mm or wider attachment for my X10 as my primary subject are landscapes and environmental portraits. Are there any good suggestions?

2. hellofromelo

hellofromelo New to FujiXspot

Feb 22, 2013
    I have personal experience with an .8x wide converter called the Konica/Minolta ACW-100, which has been discontinued for some years, but is still widely available boxed and brand new from a number of online dealers. (Do a google search if interested.) Alternatively, you can try the Panasonic .75X wideangle converter, discontinued but still sold new, designed for the Panasonic LX-5 camera. The Panny converter sells for about $175 new, while the K/M ACW-100 should go for about $110 new. (I've seen KEH sell used EX+ copies of the ACW for about $75.) Both are roughly the same size and shape, the ACW-100 being just slightly heavier and wider in diameter. You'll get a very well corrected 22mm effective field of view with the ACW attached to your X10 lens via a 40 to 49mm stepup ring. Performance is excellent--no vignetting, minimal distortion, lovely cointrast. Some will swear by an equivalent Olympus converter, but I have no experience. I can promise you, however, that the el cheapo Opteka or Roth wide converters, though more compact, will not yield IQ even approaching that of the ACW.

Drawbacks: be prepared for a rather nose-heavy rig. Neither of the two converters I recommend will accept filters (unless you wish to physically hold a 72mm CPL over the front element), and the mushroom-like converter will be readily noticeable on your X10. It's a chunky piece of glass that can be a magnet for fingerprints and/or raindrops.

Suggestion: search out an illustration of either of these two converters to determine if the size and shape (and weight) are factors you can live with. Also, since they both mount directly onto your lens via a stepup ring (40 to 52mm for the Panasonic), you'd be wise to support the entire rig by holding the converter with your left hand, rather than allowing the X10 to swing from a shoulder strap.

• Like Like x 1