Fuji X-Trans blown reds?

Discussion in 'Fuji X100, X100S, and X100T' started by Hyubie, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Hyubie

Hyubie FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Weymouth, MA
    Been meaning to ask for a long time now, but somehow didn't until now: is overblown reds common in the X-Trans sensor?

Bill (WT21) noticed it in one of my first shots with an X-E1 (and that was some time ago). I also noticed it in a lot of the images from X100s. Doesn't bother me much enough to dump the X - but any one here who has a solution other than shooting raw? I really like my Fuji JPEGs.

2. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    You can always use Pro Neg. Std and/or reduce color saturation.
    Of course, shooting FINE+RAW is a good idea, too.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Hyubie

Hyubie FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Weymouth, MA
    Thanks, Rico. I use Pro neg Hi - maybe I should switch to Std. :) As for reducing the saturation, I am happy with the other colors, just the reds. I wasn't sure if we can adjust the channels in camera.

4. RFPhotog

RFPhotog FujiXspot Rookie

Aug 9, 2014
    Oshawa, ON Canada
    Robert Fisher
    Reds are the easiest colour to blow out on any camera. It has to do with the distribution of pixels. There are only half as many red and blue as green. Red is a colour that is very common and makes up a part of other colours (e.g., yellow). If you're shooting JPEG, then reducing saturation can help. Shooting RAW gives you more options. You can also try using saturation masks in editing.

• Like Like x 1