Fuji X100S Firmware 1.02 Update

Discussion in 'Fuji X100, X100S, and X100T' started by drewbot, Apr 25, 2013.

1. drewbot

drewbot FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Toronto
    Today Fujifilm released an update to the X100S.

The only documentation is relating to OVF brightness, however, I have seen faster AF in OK light (auto exposure reading f/2, ISO 2500, 1/60 s).

Call it placebo, but have others seen any other hidden differences?

Firmware for X100S | Fujifilm Global

2. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Placebo works every single time. I have yet to see a firmware update for any Fuji X camera that doesn't result in some people reporting faster or better AF. ;)

3. drewbot

Feb 1, 2013
    Toronto
    I actually refused to read any reports on the web until I updated it last night.

In my mini test scene (ie. my desk and a coke bottle, 4 ft distance followed by 20 ft door knob), my HOLY CRAP INSTANTANEOUS LOCK rate went from the typical 1-2 in 10 tries to 3-5.

Just saying...:p

4. Gary

Gary FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    SoCal
    Gary
    I've installed firmware upgrades on my OM-D's which resulted in faster AF for my Fuji's.

5. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Upgraded mine, not seeing any difference in AF speed here, but I figured I could do with the OVF fix at least.

6. drewbot

Feb 1, 2013
    Toronto
    Thanks for reminding me. I have an OM-D update that I haven't installed that is rumored to add Focus Peaking to my X-E1.

7. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    The X-E1 already offers focus peaking (always did), at least kind of. It's the same peaking we know from the X100S, just not as pronounced and only visible in magnification modes, mostly the 3x magnification and particularly with wide-angle lenses.

8. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    I have yet to update mine yet. I find it hard to really compare user experiences regarding these things because so many variables affect the AF speed of this camera. Drewbot's test methodology and report seems to be one of the better ones, even if the results are perhaps disappointing.

9. drewbot

Feb 1, 2013
    Toronto
    My eyes are still young and with better than 20/20 vision, I can see the "shimmering" effect you describe at even 1:1 sometimes thru the EVF.

10. drewbot

Feb 1, 2013
    Toronto
    It really is hard to compare user to user. Everyone has their own take.

But as you described, the results are still somewhat mediocre, but an improvement nonetheless. I somewhat hate the fact that this thing can lock AF instantaneously sometimes, then sometimes decide it wants to flop back and forth.

FWIW, the incremental performance I am seeing is using the standard AF box size thru OVF and EVF. High performance ON, OVF powersave OFF.

11. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    Do you notice a difference in focus speed between using the OVF and the EVF/LCD? I do and I've never really understood why.

12. drewbot

Feb 1, 2013
    Toronto
    +1

No clue, sir.

13. Peter Chin

Peter Chin FujiXspot Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    Mine is still boxed, I don't want my X 100 to get jealous :dance3:

14. Jules

Jules FujiXspot Rookie

Just did the update for my X100S. I've only taken a half dozen shots so far, but can't say I'm seeing any real change in the AF speed.

15. petach

petach FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 16, 2013
    getting mine faster and with a better lock on rate

16. chrisnmn

chrisnmn FujiXspot Rookie

Mar 28, 2013
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris Leskovsek
    updated mine. no apparent difference in AF speed.

17. Argus

Argus New to FujiXspot

Apr 13, 2013
    May I ask if you mean in good light, dim light or both and if you have experience with X100 as well?

Which settings did you set on the X100S? These below are suggested to get the fastest AF:

OVF Power save mode OFF
    Macro mode OFF
    High Performance ON
    AF Assist Lamp ENABLED
    AF Box size DEFAULT

My preferences:

Fast startup ON
    Using only OVF and focus on subjects from 1.5 meter or more. Corrected framelines enabled
    AF-S mode