Fuji XT2 Lockup frustration

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by Iansky, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Iansky

Iansky FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Grahm
    I was shooting an airshow at the weekend in temperatures of around 28C, using the X-T2 with battery grip and the superb 100-400mm lens.

Shooting in AFC ( function 3/4) zone and wide tracking focus points and I turn the camera off between shooting due to delay in one aircraft leaving and another arriving.

3 times, the camera would not switch on despite numerous attempts and I had to remove the grip each time and the camera turned on then replace the grip and it was fine for a while ( plenty of battery power and all 3 are the new "W" batteries.

I have auto sleep mode turned "OFF".

Frustrating to say the least as I did miss some good shots.

Has anyone else had this and if so are Fuji aware?

2. Adam Bonn

Adam Bonn FujiXspot Veteran

Jan 13, 2016
    Porto
    Adam Bonn
    Anecdotal response...

But someone I know had this exact thing, they put up with it for a while, but now their XT2 won't power on at all.

It's been sent back to Fuji!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mike G

Mike G FujiXspot Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 7, 2016
    London
    Mike Gorman
    This has happened to me three times albeit without the battery grip, requiring the camera battery to be removed to allow the camera to switch on! I contacted Fuji UK and they said send the camera for repair! Because I have a holiday coming up soon I didn't want to do that, so I did a reset, so far touch wood it hasn't happened since! Of course now I'm tempting fate you understand!!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Iansky

Feb 1, 2013
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Grahm
    Just contacted Fuji Professional Services and the chap on the phone asked me the problem which I explained in detail to include cards used etc and after I finished explain he asked me questions that were all covered in my explanation!!! He seemed to struggle a bit with me refitting the grip after the camera was working and why I wanted to use the grip to get the extra high speed AFC tracking etc.

His reluctant response - well you can go online and book the grip in and send it back for us to look at if you want to - not good for a so called Professional Service that promises a fast service and collection / return within 48hrs. Perhaps he had the Monday feeling.

Time to contact the Fuji Service Manager methinks as I don't want this happening again with more airshows to cover!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. plaatje

plaatje FujiXspot Regular

Mar 11, 2016
    Jos
    Somewhere on YouTube I saw a photographer with the same problem who seems to be convinced that it was a hardware problem in the grip. About the Fuji service you are lucky you are in the Uk. If you have Fuji troubles in the Netherlands you have to send it to Rotterdam, they send it to Fuji Germany and from there it goes to the Uk. Luckily I live near the border so I brought it myself to Germany and I picked it up there on return. The people there were very friendly and gave me, free of charge, another X-Pro1 for the time being.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mike G

Mike G FujiXspot Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 7, 2016
    London
    Mike Gorman
    Plaatje, I've have had 3 lockups when not using the VPBG after doing a reset the problem has not yet returned. Also as far as I can tell this problem only arose post FW 2.0 update!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Iansky

Feb 1, 2013
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Grahm
    Camera and battery grip are now with Fuji UK so I am waiting to hear back from them, they are usually very efficient so hoping it comes back before the weekend as I have an event to photograph.

8. rayvonn

rayvonn FujiXspot Regular

Jan 6, 2016
    With your X100/X70, I reckon you'll be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Iansky

Feb 1, 2013
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Grahm
    I still have the XP2 with all the lenses so in emergency can use that but I need to use the 100-400 as it is motorcycle racing.

10. BobbyT

BobbyT Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    The Fuji grip for the X-Pro2 and the lensmate thumb grip make handling the larger lenses easy on the Pro2.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Iansky

Feb 1, 2013
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Grahm
    Yep Bobby, you are right and have them both on the camera - they make a huge positive difference so would recommend them to anyone using the XP2 with big lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BobbyT

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    I also have a large convex Artisan Obscura soft shutter which really rounds out the handling on the Pro2.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Iansky

Feb 1, 2013
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Grahm
    Me too but a cheapo version............it makes a real difference though.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Iansky

Feb 1, 2013
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Grahm
    Well, I have to take my hat off to Fuji - camera/grip received by Fuji on Monday and received both back today so super fast turn around! Repair sheets state - camera body: Main PWB and top cover replaced and for the grip:firmware updated.

Hopefully all will now be good and no future issues but great to see FPS really works!

• Like Like x 1
  15. plaatje

plaatje FujiXspot Regular

Mar 11, 2016
    Jos
    Sure, that's fast!:yahoo: Hope the camera and grip will work fine, it's always nicer to take the camera you wanted. Although an X-Pro2 ain't that bad, as I have heard . . . .:flowers_2:

• Like Like x 1
  16. BobbyT

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    Good deal, glad to hear that Fuji got it back to you so quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Iansky

Feb 1, 2013
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Grahm
    Thank you both, I cannot fault their speed of service just keeping my fingers crossed there are no more issues. As good as the XP2 is, the larger viewfinder in the XT2 pays dividends for fast moving sport etc and the grip does help AFC speed.