Fujinon 14mm f/2.8 Close Focus at f/16

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by entropic remnants, Sep 18, 2013.

1. entropic remnants

entropic remnants Solving for X

Jul 28, 2013
    One of the things I like to do in urbex is get real close with an ultrawide but some don't focus very close. So, you end up stopping down a lot and ending up with diffraction limited sharpness that is often visible. Also, when you're close the DOF on even an ultrawide can seem surprisingly shallow making it difficult to get the shot you want.

I struggled with this on micro four thirds because even though they had deeper DOF, they got into diffraction limited blurs faster.

Here's a test shot today with the 14mm f/2.8 and a 100% crop (should be viewed 1025 pixels across). I think this lens focuses plenty close, and is pretty sharp even at f/16.

The shot is in Fuji Velvia mode in mixed lighting, hence the wild color. From JPG with minimal processing and sharpening at ISO 400.

Full Shot:

9809806625_5522c89067_b.
    Fujinon 14mm Close Focus Test: One Good Turn by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

100% crop near center:

9809812724_60b2218087_o.
    Fujinon 14mm Close Focus Test: One Good Turn (100% crop) by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

• Like Like x 4
  2. BigTam

BigTam FujiXspot Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    The X-E1 and this lens is tempting me away from m43: get thee behind me, Satan!

Sent using FujiXspot mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  3. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    I'm going through a gear refresh at the moment, selling off some under-used and "stranded" gear. This lens is on my personal roadmap and this thread is confirming nicely... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gary

Gary FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    SoCal
    Gary
    Good lord John, even when you shoot a test,
    Your images are nothing but the best.

=G=

• Like Like x 2
  5. BigTam

BigTam FujiXspot Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Grand master Entropics,
    Shoots nothing but 'awe' pics

• Like Like x 1
  6. bluzcity

bluzcity FujiXspot Regular Subscribing Member

Jul 24, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    What is the approx diameter of the subject? I'm trying to get a sense of scale. And I think the velvia worked well here.

7. entropic remnants

Jul 28, 2013
    By no means macro close, lol. That's about a 3 to 4 inch diamater handle I think. But that's as close as I can get to it.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  8. GeoffM

GeoffM FujiXspot Regular

Feb 12, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    When you say " as close as I can get to it" is that physically or as close as it will focus? With any of the Fuji primes you can use the macro setting on the body getting you a little closer. I have shot a macro of a small beetle with the XF14.

9. entropic remnants

Jul 28, 2013
    As close as I could get. The lens was in manual, with ring engaged in MF. Are you saying that in autofocus the body will focus CLOSER? That's an intriguing idea if true. Can you point me to that photo uncropped? I can't imaging it's a very big beetle photo -- you'd need to be like less than an inch from a small beetle at 21mm equivalent. Now if it's one of those ridiculous african or asian beetles well, yeah, lol.

Here's what you get at closest focus from Ken Rockwell: http://www.kenrockwell.com/fuji/x-mount-lenses/14mm/DSCF1970-macro.jpg

You'd HAVE to crop. The only reason I'm as close as I am is because at f/16 I can pull in closer due to DOF aiding me.

Max magnification from the spec sheet is 0.12 x -- that's just worse than 8:1 (or is that 1:8 -- at any rate, negative magnification) and not particularly "macro". I think you must be thinking of a different lens.

Fuji spec sheet is here: http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujinon_lens_xf14mmf28_r/specifications/

10. zapatista

zapatista FujiXspot Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Denver
    Mike
    Ken Rockwell is my hero.

11. entropic remnants

Jul 28, 2013
    Ha ha! Not mine. He hates micro four thirds and I've never forgiven him for that, lol. But sometimes he does indeed know what he's talking about.