Greetings from Spain.

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by Vali, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Vali

Vali FujiXspot Rookie

Mar 1, 2013
    Hi.

Right now I don't have any Fuji camera, but wanting to get a X20 once the first reviews and first bugs are known (currently deciding between x20 and a RX100).

I am only an amateur who started with photography more than 20 years ago with a Praktica MTL5B. Right now I want a camera for a very specific task, hiking, and need something who is good quality and can be strapped to my belt (within a budget). IQ is, finally, enough to consider only a not too expensive P&S and the X20 is gorgeus.

Hoping to join the club soon !

• Like Like x 3
  2. carlb

carlb FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 6, 2013
    twin cities, minnesota
    Carl
    My guess is you will absolutely love the X20. Welcome, look forward to your photos!

3. Phoenix

Phoenix Ronin-13 Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix
    Hi and welcome Vali

Share images once you join the club :thumbup:

4. Iansky

Iansky FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Grahm
    Welcome Vali,

You have found the ultimate site for all things Fuji and even though it is a new site, it is full of people with all levels of experience who are happy to "show & share" for the benefit of photography.

Enjoy the site and good luck with getting the Fuji hardware - a great club to be in!

5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    Vali, thanks so much for taking the time to introduce yourself! My guess is that you'll fall for the Fuji when you pick one up and see the way the controls are so straightforward. As Ian says, there's a broad array of experience here on the board...and lots of good Fuji photographs to see.

Please keep us posted on your decision and welcome!

6. cherrywood

cherrywood FujiXspot Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Ohio
    Vali, yes you are welcome here.

It's a fine place to be for Fuji Friends. The X20, if its anything like the X10 that I had , Me thinks you will love the small size and manual controls, like you enjoyed your Praktica , of days gone by.

Fuji is one of the few MFG's that really gets it that a digital camera does not have to be, well .......Just Digital, it can look nice have very good manual controls and work well so that you can, for the most part ,just forget about the complexities and have fun making photographs. Nice and refreshing of Fuji to do this for us.
    Enjoy your journey into Fujiland.

Dennis.

7. pniev

pniev Guest

Welcome! Whatever you are going to decide, the choice will always be good. Of course the X20 looks muuuuuch nicer and has an OVF which is very useful in bright light.
    Have a good time here.
    Peter

8. Gary

Gary FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    SoCal
    Gary
    Hola y da la bienvenida de California. Espero que disfrute de su tiempo aquĆ­.

Gary

9. Vali

Vali FujiXspot Rookie

Mar 1, 2013
    Thanks for the warm welcome all of you. One of the things I considered before joining these forums is the positive approach of most of the comments and topics, in contrast with some other famous forums where almost all is bashing and negative talk (you probably know where I am talking about).

@cherrywood

You are right. I consider the RX100 a P&S camera (the best I know) and the X10/X20 an advanced compact camera. The sensor is bigger and the camera is smaller... but that's it. Everything else is "better" (I mean, I like it more) in the Fujis and love the camera desing.

The Praktica was (is) a brick and the 50 mm prime it came with it was a great lens for the money but, fortunately, the photography progressed a lot with digital and now you can get great, and a LOT, of pics without ruining yourself developing them. Sometimes I find funny how people complain a lot about how AF is sloooow because the camera spends half a second trying to focus... I wonder what would they say having to do it manually (automatic in that camera meant "the diaphragm is open until you push a lever to measure exposition").

I miss it... I think I will try to get a film to shoot "the old way".

10. porchard

porchard FujiXspot Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Devon, UK
    Welcome to the forum, Vali.

I had an x10 - which I eventually sold because the Autofocus was, unfortunately, just too unreliable (though I suspect that mine was just a bad example). I understand that the x20 has major improvements in AF performance anyway. I certainly wouldn't have sold the x10 if the AF had been reliable, as I really liked using it

I now have an RX100 - the IQ is superb, and it fits easily into a pocket - amazing!

The RX100 is (for me) nowhere near as good, ergonomically, as the x10, but its "technical" IQ is (IMHO) better overall. However, the x10 had the Fuji "look" which does count for quite a lot.:) I would say that I'm impressed by the RX100, whereas I enjoyed the x10.

Good luck with your choice - I'm sure that either of these cameras will do a fine job.

11. Vali

Vali FujiXspot Rookie

Mar 1, 2013
    Hi porchard.

When I was talking about AF I meant slow AF, but reliable. Not your case, I think.

Yes, I know the IQ on the sony is great and the size is "better" for my intended usage, but trying to do things manually is a bit cumbersome to my liking (did not use it, just downloaded and read the manual of both cameras).

Please, don't tease me as I may end having even more doubts!! :crying:

12. porchard

porchard FujiXspot Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Devon, UK

My apologies - I honestly wasn't trying to persuade you towards either camera! I was just giving my experiences of each, in the hope that this might help you to reach a decision.:)

Although I now have the RX100, as I mentioned, for me the x10 wins ergonomically. In particular, if you require easy manual use, then I think that the Fuji is probably better suited to your needs.