Harris Hawk coming to the glove.

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Ty S., Nov 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ty S.

Ty S. FujiXspot Regular

Mar 3, 2014
    Western NC
    • A Harris Hawk, native to the desert Southwest, comes to the falconer's glove.
    XT-2, 50-140mm.

• deadeye_hawk.-0446.

• Like Like x 6
    • Wow Wow x 1
  2. Mike G

Mike G FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 7, 2016
    London
    Mike Gorman
    I had a 60th birthday treat and I spent a day at a falconry centre, part of the treat was to fly a Harris Hawk, I was one of three people flying the hawks, super day!

• Like Like x 3
  3. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    aka "the last thing countless small rodents ever see"

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ty S.

Ty S. FujiXspot Regular

Mar 3, 2014
    Western NC
    They are amazing animals, aren't they. You expect them to take your hand off when they land and they touch just as gently as you could imagine.

5. Britanica

Britanica FujiXspot Veteran

Sep 22, 2016
    Britanica
    WOW! I am blown away! What a perfect shot! I have always liked hawks. We have wild ones around here though I secretly wish I could have a tamed one hehe

Bravo! This picture is a keeper!

• Like Like x 1
  6. TonyTurley

TonyTurley FujiXspot Top Veteran

May 2, 2016
    Tony
    There was a hawk about that size sitting on a telephone line in my neighborhood a couple of days ago. My wife was driving, and we passed directly under the bird, perhaps 15 feet under it, and all it did was turn its head and look at us. Guess who didn't have a camera with him at the time? I rarely get a close-up look at birds-of-prey, too. :(

• Like Like x 1
  7. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    One of the two times I flew out here (Hood River, OR) to interview in June / July, before we moved here, I saw a bald eagle in a guy's back yard. Yet to see another one since we moved, though. But they kick around this neighborhood.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Britanica

Britanica FujiXspot Veteran

Sep 22, 2016
    Britanica
    That happened once with me. We have a protected area for bald eagles near here and they get to fly around and leave their enclosure. There was one, no joke, must have been nearly 3 feet tall sitting on the edge of my neighbors built in pool. By the time I ran in the house and grabbed my camera he/she was gone :(

I know how you feel :crying:

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. Stephen S

Stephen S FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    East Bay, Northern California
    Stephen Scharf
    Nice shot. Isn't Rufus of Wimbledon a Harris Hawk?

10. Ty S.

Ty S. FujiXspot Regular

Mar 3, 2014
    Western NC
    Rufus the Hawk - Wikipedia

Now there's a bit of trivia, Stephen. I had no idea.

I really appreciate the feedback folks. I have a couple more that aren't quite as spectacular but you might like them. When I get a chance in the next day or two I'll post them.

Thanks!
    John

11. Stephen S

Stephen S FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    East Bay, Northern California
    Stephen Scharf
    I am always up for animal photographs, so please post them! If you don't mind, I'll post a few raptor shots here taken with my X100T at a raptor sanctuary in Knutsford, Chelsea, UK.

A beautiful female Redtail Hawk from California that was here for rehabilitation.
    Red%20Tail%201.

Red%20Tail%202.

Fishing Eagle (aka Scottish Sea Eagle?) taken using continuous high-speed AF on the X100T! Who says you need big glass for bird photography? :p
    Fishing-Eagle.

Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1