Hello from Auckland and my new x100s

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by chrisnmn, Apr 4, 2013.

1. chrisnmn

chrisnmn FujiXspot Rookie

Mar 28, 2013
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris Leskovsek
    Hey guys i know i just joined the forum and i havent made a proper introduction, as i was waiting on my camera, now i got it and went inmediately outside to do some test shots,

Im Chris, im originally from Chile, but currently living amd working in Auckland, NZ.

Hope you like some of them. All shot in Raw and processed with LR 4.4 released today!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comments are always appreciated!

Ps dont know how the heck i get rid of the attachment in this post through an ipad! :confused: :(

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Ronin-13 Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix
    Hi and welcome Chris

Great images :Welcome:

3. Jules

Jules FujiXspot Rookie

Hey Chris, welcome aboard. Lovely shots, especially the first image.

I also got my X100S today, but didn't get home 'til late, so I don't have any good shots to share yet. I intend to change that tomorrow!

4. bhupinder2002

bhupinder2002 FujiXspot Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    Hi Chris.|
    Beautiful and wonderful . I hope you would like ur new toy.
    Cheers

5. Jamie Z

Jamie Z FujiXspot Regular

Mar 10, 2013
    western Colorado
    Like the long shadow photo. I hope to get a few more photos myself today and the LR 4.4 release was very timely.

6. chrisnmn

Mar 28, 2013
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris Leskovsek
    Thank you guys for the welcoming and nice words! Im looking forward to contribute more to this forum as i learn more about this little beast called x100s!

7. Gary

Gary FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    SoCal
    Gary
    Welcome aboard the good ship Fuji Maru. What are your first impressions of the X100S?

Gary

8. chrisnmn

Mar 28, 2013
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris Leskovsek
    Thanks Gary,

still sweet and sour, as apparently everything in fuji and me. I bought the X100s 4 days ago and i already took it back to the store and changed it for a new one.

To keep it quick and simple:

- IQ is simply stunning. better than my OMD (which is still my main system).
    - Snappier than the X100
    - AF Fast during daylight, not so much in low light.
    - No IS, so i cant shoot under 1/60s, well I can, but is more like a matter of luck more than a fact, like on my OMD that i dont care about shooting at 1/10s.
    - High ISO such as ISO 800 or 1600 are simply "noiseless" to me.
    - EVF (on the second body with new firmware v1.01) is as good and smooth as the OMD one.
    - Lens is sharp.
    - creamy "bokeh".
    - I like the menus, but still getting around with the AE lock and compensation dial.
    - This camera screams MF. And the split image for me, is simply awesome. even-though the MF is still by wire, it actually works (feels) like a real mechanic one. brilliant.
    - Battery life - dont know yet as i havent put the camera to its paces or heavy shooting, will do, in the next couple of days.
    - Love the Q menu, and easy setup.
    - Grip and handling is alright for me. not uncomfortable, but for some reason the OMD is literally INVISIBLE to my hands, or maybe ive been shooting too much with it. but I miss a thumb rest and dont like having to spend $100+ for a third party one.
    - Filter thread is simply gimmicky BS for you to spend some extra $. Got an adapter from 49 to 58 and called it a day. It doesnt interfere in the OVF. But i cant use the original cap so i got a cheap pinch cap from my local store and im using the O75 cap on my X100s which has this really slim and nice profile and keeps its "pocketable" size.
    - I love the size and weight. I feel it as comfortable as the OMD with the P14 in front.
    - Writing speed for Fine JPEG + RAW is slow (2 seconds or so with a trascend 85MBs card) nowhere near to my OMD, which is almost instantaneous.

hope that gives you an idea?. still mixed feelings. Am i keeping it?. Apparently yes, but i still get some second thoughts of why didnt i just bought a second OMD. but the extra IQ is definitely worth for me.

9. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    Glad you found your way here, Chris and congrats on your second new X100s! I think your first results are pretty darned impressive - my two favorites are "the loneliness of the long distance runner" and "number 118" - just my immediate emotional reaction to them.:2thumbs:

It takes time to get used to any new camera especially if one has been "wedded" to another for quite some time. I hope you and your X100s will make many memories together and look forward to seeing and hearing more.

I took the liberty of moving your introductory thread into our Welcomes and Introductions forum so that more members will be able to say meet and greet you right away.:flowers_2:

10. Gary

Feb 15, 2013
    SoCal
    Gary
    Thanks for the info. I have an XP1 and I've been toying with the idea of dumping it for an RX1 or maybe add a X100s to the Fuji system.

Gary

11. marlof

marlof FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 18, 2013
    Well, don't worry too much. That's the route I've chosen, and I have second thoughts of why didn't I just buy a X100s. The grass always is greener etc. For me, the preference of having a two identical body setup for a trip to South Africa was decisive, but if that trip was not planned, I think I would have loved to experience the X100S for my preferred focal length, next to an OMD for anything else. As a matter of fact, after South Africa, that might still happen. :)

I really enjoyed your pictures, esp. the first.

12. chrisnmn

Mar 28, 2013
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris Leskovsek
    Hey BB, thanks for the welcome, and i really appreciate your comment on my images!. Im learning my way around this little camera called x100s. so far so good. cant complain, i think this is a keeper for me. just need to work some stuff around.

thanks for moving my comment to the "Welcomes and Introductions" forum. Im looking forward to participate more in this side of the pond.

I personally tried the RX1 after all ive seen, and i found that the AF was way to slow for me and expensive, while the X100s is more accesible and does the job as i like.

How do you feel you XP1 compared to your OMD's?

13. Gary

Feb 15, 2013
    SoCal
    Gary
    Much different camera camera. Not different bad or different good, just different. The OM-D is this little sports car, great handling and super performance. The Fuji is like a luxury sedan, great smooth ride for the long hauls.

The OM-D is quick in use. So quick and responsive that you can almost shoot in a reactionary mode and still get the exceptional image, 'The Shot'. The X-P1 takes much more thought, much more anticipatory thinking to get 'The Shot'. The files are different, but in a subtle way. The OM-D seems cold and digital-ish, while the Fuji feels more film-esque. It is hard to put a technical finger on the differences between the images ... for me, juicier works. The Fuji images are just a bit juicier. I'm processing in Capture One and I'm still a neophyte with both camera and processor, so the jury is still out.

Gary