Sony ping pong ball diffuser

I know it sounds funny, but I found this on another forum and it works.

Top view (cell phone shot)
DSC00990.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Side view (cell phone shot)
DSC00989.JPG

Installed view (cell phone shot)
2011-01-16+15.23.21.jpg

Automatic mode, regular flash, daylight coming through the window
DSC00993.JPG

Automatic mode, diffused flash, daylight coming through the window.
DSC00994.JPG

Since taking these I added some velcro to the flash which keeps it in place, and smoothed the rough edges down. I doubt I will leave this on permanently as it does not allow the flash to completely close, gotta find a spot in the bag to put it without crushing it.

dim light shots

So as it got dark I took a couple of dim light shots. Shot in Auto mode so that nothing I did would alter the shot.

This one was fully auto, without the diffuser:
DSC00999.JPG

This one was fully auto with the diffuser:
DSC00998.JPG

Now that made a difference, wow.

very cool, back in the day when I shot weddings I found that the best flash diffuser was a simple coffee filter held in place with a rubber band. Never would have thought about a ping pong ball

if it works

very cool, back in the day when I shot weddings I found that the best flash diffuser was a simple coffee filter held in place with a rubber band. Never would have thought about a ping pong ball

If it works, then great. The great advantage of the ping pong ball is that upon first glance it does not appear homemade. Look closely and you can tell, but at a glance, you would never guess.

I read about this on dpreview a couple of weeks ago and tried it. Been using it ever since. It works great, although I get some weird stares... LOL.

Cheers,
Dan

Back