Help ex Nikon SLR users!

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by lwilliamsphoto, Feb 22, 2014.

1. lwilliamsphoto

lwilliamsphoto New to FujiXspot

Feb 22, 2014
    I invested into the Fuji X system with a X-Pro1 and a handful of lenses.

If I take two photos side by side on my XP1 and my Nikon D300s (identical settings) my Nikon is looking nice and vibrant, full of life...but my XP1 photos look really dull in comparison. Especially when using simple bounce flash.

Is this just because they are different cameras? Or can I do something to change the look in camera? Tried all the film simulation modes and still can't get vibrancy in my shots. Seems like the Nikon D300s prefers light better.

Anyone else noticed this or has a solution?

Cheers,
    Lloyd

2. lwilliamsphoto

Feb 22, 2014
    Ps.....I'm comparing large fine JPEG's

3. Bob Brandoff

Bob Brandoff FujiXspot Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    I had the D300s & now the X-Pro1.

The best thing to do is shoot RAW and then adjust to taste.

The profiles for the D300s probably are more vibrant & saturated in jpeg.

4. scottwillard3

scottwillard3 New to FujiXspot

Feb 22, 2014
    It has been said that fuji exaggerate their ISO values. If so that may mean that the fuji is under exposing. Maybe try same scene in manual mode with auto ISO. See if the values match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. lwilliamsphoto

Feb 22, 2014
    Thanks Scott, yeah it seems to be under exposing. I'm on my lunch break at my first wedding with the XP1, I'm struggling today fair play! Only because I'm used to what I get with my d300s and I'm like waahhhh what's going on here!

6. lwilliamsphoto

Feb 22, 2014
    Hmmm shame about that. Don't really like shooting Raw. My JPEG workflow is really quick. Shoot so it looks great on the screen & make it look good and consistent all day. I'm struggling to get the same continuity that I would at a wedding with my SLR. I noticed when shooting JPEG on the XP1, choose a colour balance (not auto) take 3 shots on burst mode and they all have slight colour differences. No change in ambient light at all. Annoying!! Maybe I'll have to shoot raw.

7. threeO

threeO New to FujiXspot

Feb 5, 2014
    I think this is a matter of personal taste. Having shot Nikon for about 40 years, I can't recall a jpeg that can match what I get out of the Fuji's. If you want more pop, Velvia, adjust some of the jpeg settings.

8. Bob Brandoff

Bob Brandoff FujiXspot Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    If nothing else- you owe it to your clients to provide the best shots *and* processing for such important events.

Every digital camera I owned needed the output worked on in one way or the other.

9. entropic remnants

entropic remnants Solving for X

Jul 28, 2013
    Have you tried all the film simulations? You can't be saying the Velvia sim is FLAT, lol.

If it's underexposing, kick up the EV comp wheel -- that's what it's there for!

I had Nikon D70, D70s, D60, D200, and a pair of D7000's at one time and Fuji blows them all away when you learn how to use it properly. It has been said that Fuji's are not for the casual photographer and I agree. Your camera has a boatload of easily accessed controls and if you learn how to use them you'll discover how good the camera really is.

10. yakky

yakky FujiXspot Regular

Dec 18, 2013
    That might have been true years ago but these days in camera jpeg is so good that raw is only needed for fixing exposure issues. In fact many cameras get jpeg colors better than the average user can get out of raw (without cheating and looking at the jpeg).

To the OP, get some controlled conditions and test both side by side and check on a laptop. Camera screens can make it look much different. That said there is a difference in Nikon and Fuji colors. IMO Nikon does better with boring outdoor colors where the Fuji will try to be realistic. Everywhere else the fuji wins for me.