Highly recommend the iShoot grip!

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jloden, Oct 18, 2013.

1. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    A while back I picked up an iShoot branded X-E1 grip with L-plate based on comments here on the forum. I wanted to post a little bit about it specifically in case anyone else searches details on one later.

It's basically a (much lower priced) clone of the Really Right Stuff grip with base plate and L-plate, so the design is extremely similar, and as far as I can see it's the same materials. The plate is made of solid aluminum, with the grip itself being sturdy plastic.

Everything is pretty much what you'd expect from an add-on grip. It improves the handling and provides much more additional purchase; especially appreciated when handling multiple cameras, changing lenses and other times where the brick-like form factor of the X cameras isn't ideal. Some key notes:

1) The L plate is Arca compatible, so you can mount the camera on a tripod in portrait mode
    2) The grip does NOT block the battery/SD card door. You can change batteries and SD cards while keeping the plate on.
    3) The baseplate also moves the tripod hole to the center. For me the best part of this is that it means I can keep my Capture plate attached and still be able to change batteries.

Probably the best endorsement I can give is that I have since purchased another iShoot grip for my RX1, and both are basically permanently attached to their respective cameras :cool:

A few photos:

10355168085_79224d42fd_c.
    iShoot X-E1 Grip by jloden, on Flickr

10355183304_5db41a3d4f_c.

10355175005_e104757014_c.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Armanius

Armanius FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    That's one ugly grip!! But it does look like it'd make handling much better!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Andreas F.

Andreas F. New to FujiXspot

Apr 17, 2013
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Indeed, it is much better than the genuine Fujifilm grip.
    It´s less ugly without the L-plate...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jman13

Jman13 FujiXspot Regular

Mar 7, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I love mine too. Far more comfortable than the Fuji grip and handles better. Plus it makes it more secure and is an integrated A/S L bracket, which is great since I've used A/S style tripod heads for years and years.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pennyworth

Pennyworth New to FujiXspot

Oct 6, 2013
    I guess I have a clone of the iShoot as it doesn't have any branding on the grip but it essentially is the same piece. I love it as well. It took a bit to get my fingers used to the grip but it's second nature now. I really like the balance with the 55-200mm as well. I did try the Fuji HG-XE1 but as the OP mentioned, removing it to access the battery and memory card was not enjoyable.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jloden

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Yeah I guess it doesn't do much for the aesthetics, but I'm all about practical so I don't mind as long as it's more comfortable!

I originally thought I'd only use the grip for the 55-200 and that I'd probably just leave the L plate off but surprisingly I found myself leaving both on continuously unless I need the smaller form factor for some reason.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pixl10

Pixl10 FujiXspot Regular

May 24, 2013
    Can you please post a link to where it can be bought?
    Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  8. entropic remnants

entropic remnants Solving for X

Jul 28, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  9. jloden

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Exactly, thanks John!

I don't know of anywhere you can consistently purchase it except through ebay, and the easiest way to find one is to search "X-E1 grip" or "iShoot X-E1" etc. and look for the iShoot advertised ones. There are others that look to be nearly identical so for all I know they're made in the same factory but I stuck to the labeled iShoot brand just to be on the safe side. I didn't bother posting links to a specific auction as they're unfortunately short-lived and rarely make sense in context of the thread a few days after posting.

The normal price range seems to hover around $70 for the iShoot branded grips.

• Like Like x 1