Hiking in Sedona & Grand Canyon

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Mikey, May 9, 2014.

1. Mikey

Mikey FujiXspot Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    Took a long weekend off work with the wifey to go hiking in Grand Canyon & Sedona. I don't get much chance to shoot landscapes where I live (Cincy and NYC) so seized the opportunity to travel with a photography meetup group. It was my birthday treat to myself. I took the X-E2, X-T1 plus 10-24, 23/1.4, and 55-200 with me.

Didn't spend much time touring the streets of Sedona which was a beautiful quaint town in Arizona. Our first day there we went straight to hiking on the Brins Mesa trail which was a 4.4mi hike with a 550ft elevation. Being out of shape as I was, I stopped at the 3.9 or 4mi mark. Nonetheless, the scenery was breathtaking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the trail there was this sphinx-like looking rock formation that seemed to keep its gaze at us for a large portion of the hike...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To be continued...

• Like Like x 9
  2. Mikey

Mikey FujiXspot Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    So that same evening we got on the Pink Jeep sunset tour. Maybe not for the faint of heart as this small jeep had to trek through very rugged and sometimes steep terrain. Nonetheless, the glowing rocks from the dusk sunlight made for some breathtaking views.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got up real early the next day to drive up to Airport Road to catch a glimpse of the glowing red rocks from the rising sun. In our hurry to get out of the hotel, I left my telephoto lens -- there were 2 hot air balloons just above that white rock formation on far left. Grr... :growl: I hate it when I miss a photo op 'coz of my own stupidity.

[​IMG]

To be continued...

• Like Like x 7
  3. Mikey

Mikey FujiXspot Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    One member of the group had been badgering the group leader to visit Castle Rock so we decided to go there this 2nd day. We got there early enough that the park leading up to the trail was still closed.

This was the back view of Castle Rock...
    [​IMG]

The trail itself was a moderate effort hike. I was looking for this particular view on a brochure with the raging waters below a gorgeous view of Castle Rock except I never found the exact location. Nonetheless, the views were exquisite.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To be continued...

• Like Like x 3
  4. Mikey

Mikey FujiXspot Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    Finally, time for some Grand Canyon pics...

On our way there, we stopped by a couple of scenic points. I brought along my 3LT tripod and really wanted to test my Haida 10-stop ND filter. Only thing was up until the 3rd day, there really weren't a lot in terms of moving clouds. True to reviews, the Haida filter gave a warm color cast which I couldn't quite recover fully in LR5.

[​IMG]

My Marumi 3 stop grad ND filter, on the other hand, yielded great results. Only wish it had a lower profile and wasn't as thick as it was. One caveat though is some vignetting at 10mm which was worse with stacking filters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't really have any great sunset photos for you. For 2 straight days, we tried looking for great vantage points for the sunset but didn't really see any noteworthy ones.

The next day, we set out for the Bright Angel Trail. Knowing that we weren't hikers and that we were surely going to move at a snail's pace taking photographs, we only set out to get to the mile-and-a-half resthouse (next picture) before setting back. The hike can be deceiving since you go down first and have to hike upwards to get back. Back-and-forth we trekked ~3 miles with an elevation gain of 1131 feet -- not bad for an out-of-shape photo enthusiast like me. :thumbsu:
    [​IMG]

Except I kept on running into much older folk who were in greater shape than I was. :startle: I just turned 35 the day before and this was the perfect reminder to start living healthy.
    [​IMG]

Our group leader asking to get a portrait over the edge of the Grand Canyon...
    [​IMG]

A word of warning to anyone planning to go there -- keep an eye on your snack containers and backpacks. The squirrels are notorious for gnawing into you bags and stealing your stuff.

Caught in the act...
    [​IMG]

A few other GC views...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe next time I'll try riding a mule -- it's certainly on my bucket list.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  5. zpuskas

zpuskas FujiXspot Regular Subscribing Member

Dec 18, 2013
    Santa Barbara, CA
    ZPuskas
    WoW! Great series. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BobbyT

BobbyT Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    What a fun adventure. There is so much awesome in these photos I don't know where to start.

• Like Like x 1
  7. OdzBodkinz

OdzBodkinz FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 17, 2013
    Love Sedona. Pink Jeep tours rock. Nice pics.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mikey

Mikey FujiXspot Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks very much!!

Thanks, Bobby! It certainly was fun and very tiring. Forgot to bring a windbreaker for the cold evenings and AMs so I'm paying the price now with a nasty cold.

Ditto and thanks a bunch! As much as I'd want to go back, there's a ton of other places that need going to.

9. Phoenix

Phoenix Ronin-13 Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix
    Great set

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mikey

Mikey FujiXspot Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks very much, Phoenix!!

11. Mikey

Mikey FujiXspot Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    Turns out I did have a good sunrise photo...
    [​IMG]

Still no good sunset photo though. :(

• Like Like x 2
  12. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Good stuff Mikey! I really love the silhouette shot with the blue sky and moon.

13. Mikey

Mikey FujiXspot Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks, Jay! That's also one of my favorites! :)