'Hmmm...I Just Might Like Topaz BW Effects MORE Than Nik SilverEfex Pro'

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by RT_Panther, Feb 25, 2013.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 2, 2013
    Texas
  2. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

I like the presets...I find the UI a bit ugly but workable. Not liking the kludgy way you have to connect it to Lightroom but the effects are pretty cool. They have a 30% off sale going until the 28th

3. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. FujiXspot Veteran

Jan 31, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Agree with dixeyk. I bought it because I could not afford Silver Efex Pro, which seems to be preferred by most people, but I hate having to open each file, one by one, in LR, then having the B&W effects close as soon as I hit OK, having to do the whole thing again for the next black and white image. But it does do a good job once the clunky interface is got through.

I do indeed remember the Iron Lungs. I don't know what I feared most when I was a kid growing up in the early fifties, the iron lung or the polio injections at Dr. Fitzgerald's office. (Needles weren't as "micro" as they have since become.)

4. crsnydertx

crsnydertx FujiXspot Regular Subscribing Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Another contender is OnOne Software's Perfect B&W. I go back and forth among LR, Silver Efex Pro and Perfect B&W; so many choices!

5. RT_Panther

Feb 2, 2013
    Texas
  6. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy FujiXspot Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    I think the Topaz products are very nice. The only problem I have is because I don't have Photoshop but use them as plugins with IrfanView so it's a bit clunky but I've got used to it. I tried the Nik products - the Mac version crippled Aperture since it hogs the GPU on the Mac - apparently a well known bug - and the Windows version installs a licence-checking agent that played havoc with Windows 7 (YMMV of course). So I gave up on those fairly quickly!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Greyelm

Greyelm FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    S.London, England
    Malcolm
    Topaz has some nice products and shouldn't be overlooked. I prefer Silver Efex but I want to also recommend Snapseed (also Nik), the B&W feature shares some of SFX features including selective adjustments and it is very cheap.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Iansky

Iansky FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Grahm
    Never tried it as Silver Efex pro is my conversion unit of choice - do they do a trial version?

9. Greyelm

Greyelm FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    S.London, England
    Malcolm
    Yes, demo version here. http://www.snapseed.com/

$20 for a mac/PC! Free for iPad and android.

10. RT_Panther

Feb 2, 2013
    Texas
  11. RT_Panther

Feb 2, 2013
    Texas

Attached Files:

12. spinyman

spinyman FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Valley Center,CA.
    I like that a lot RT. I'll have to revisit mine.