Homeless Man by the River

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by Jman13, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Jman13

Jman13 FujiXspot Regular

Mar 7, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I have the 27/2.8 in for review this week and was out for a bit with it. I then Went out to scout a new skyline location and found this man just sitting on the bank. Asked if I could take his picture and he happily obliged. X-M1 with 27/2.8 at 2.8.

homeless_river.

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 2, 2013
    Texas
    Did you get any of his story?

3. bilzmale

bilzmale FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 3, 2013
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill
    Life has not been kind to him.

4. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    It is very nice photo that makes one curious to the story of the man!

5. Jman13

Jman13 FujiXspot Regular

Mar 7, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I didn't really have the time to sit and chat with him as I needed to get home, so I don't know his full story, but I was drawn to him for a few reasons. See, I'm not really a street shooter, but I've wanted to start trying for some of these shots. I had seen this location on the map as a possible good long lens skyline location and went to check it out. He was sitting there alone, minding his own business. When I first passed him, he said nothing. I finished my scouting and passed him again, and nodded to him. Again he said nothing. I got in my car and left, and went to one of my usual haunts for a few quick shots. That whole time, I kept thinking I should have taken his picture. So, I got back in my car, drove back and asked him if I could take his picture. He seemed quite pleased by the idea, and I told him he had a great face...which he really appreciated. He never asked me for anything, but I could tell by the way his teeth were black and worn down to nubs that he hadn't seen a real home in quite some time.

I asked him if he was alright, and if he needed anything. He said, maybe a dollar. I gave him 5...he showed genuine thanks and I was so glad I had gone back to capture a slice of this man's life. He seemed very kind, and simply resigned to his life. I don't know if he made major mistakes that led him there, or if he just had bad luck and little opportunity.

6. OdzBodkinz

OdzBodkinz FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 17, 2013
    You should print him one and give it to him. He might have loved ones who would want it. It is a striking portrait.