House Cleaning

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Biro, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Biro

Biro Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I've been meaning to do some camera housecleaning for a while (I simply have too many) and finally began acting on it today. I sold off my Fuji X-T10, X-Pro 1, X100T and X30. "What?! Are you abandoning Fuji?" you might reasonably ask. Not at all.

I made a decision a while ago to not only pare down my camera collection but also to upgrade to Fuji's 24mp sensor and latest autofocus technology. My X-T20 arrived a couple of weeks ago and I plan to order an X-Pro 2 in a few more weeks. I suspect that will be all the Fuji I require and will realistically use.

My Fuji lens collection is a mixture of old and new, but carefully stays on the less-expensive side: I have the first-generation 18-55 and 55-200mm zooms, the first-generation 14, 18, 27, 35 and 60mm primes... and the newer "Fujicrons" - the 23 and 35mm f/2.0 WR primes. I'll probably add the new 50mm when I order the X-Pro 2.

In terms of compact cameras, I've been spoiled by the one-inch sensors. The X30 was still a wonderful camera in many ways but it wasn't getting much use lately. But one-inch sensors aren't a total solution in and of themselves, either. I picked up an open-box Sony RX100 V at my local Best buy for $799 a week ago. It was a great deal. But I took it back today. It was just too fiddly for me and, despite its fantastic specs and abilities, it was also sluggish in many ways and almost always required a second control step to get anything done. A touch screen would have helped.

I might just do without a compact for a while. I wish Fuji would come out with a one-inch sensor model - even with a Bayer-array. Otherwise, the Canon G5X looks attractive if I can get a good deal on one.

Anyway, that's my confession for today. I'm looking forward to the next chapter in my Fuji relationship.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. BobbyT

BobbyT Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    Sounds like a solid plan for a great kit going forward.

3. drd1135

drd1135 FujiXspot Regular

Oct 3, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I've had some similar thoughts. My RX100 iii doesn't get much use. I was thinking of selling it and getting an X70.

4. TonyTurley

TonyTurley FujiXspot Top Veteran

May 2, 2016
    Tony
    I'm with you there, Steve (although I don't/didn't have nearly as much stuff as you've listed). I sold my X30 recently, although I do miss its compactness for bike riding. It was a brilliant camera in good light, but lost its luster somewhat when light levels began to fall. I sold my Rokkor 24mm last week, and I'm shipping off another camera tomorrow. I have one more lens listed on eBay. My plan is to reduce to one camera/lens combo. Having no native lenses right now, the 23mm WR is high on my list - I just wish it was a bit wider. Bigger/heavier lenses just don't do it for me, even if they have great IQ. If the X70 had an EVF integrated, I'd be looking at it closely. My first MILC, a Sony NEX-5R, was excellent, but the lack of EVF was a pain at times. Don't want to go back there. I'll eventually settle on a lens for my X-T1 . . . I think.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bs1946

bs1946 FujiXspot Regular

Mar 12, 2016
    I did a lot of lens parring down last year. I had the 18mm and 27mm, Bower 8mm FE, Rokinon 12mm, 21mm, 50mm, and three Minolta MD lenses that I almost never use. I sold all my lenses except the Minoltas, because they have almost no market value, and bought the 23mm f1.4 and 14mm for my X-E2. I also have an X100T with the WCL-X100. Both of these kits are almost redundant.

I keep waiting for word of the X-E3 but, I am really beginning to think that Fuji has no plan to offer another X-E. If they did, I would sell the X-E2, the 14mm, and my entire X100T kit. Then I would get the X-E3 and the 16mm f1.4. My problem is that I don't want something as big as the X-Pro2 and and I am concerned that the 16mm f1,4 and 23mm f1.4 are too large for the X-T20.

6. Biro

Biro Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    If you're fine with that lens on an X-E2 or potential X-E3, you'll probably be fine with it on an X-T20. Check this out...

Compact Camera Meter

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bs1946

bs1946 FujiXspot Regular

Mar 12, 2016
    One thing that worries me about the X-T20 is it is the same size as the Olympus E-M10 I had. The X-E2 weighs the same as the X-T20 but, it's wider and gives a much better grip to help with larger primes.