Housten

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Rejo12, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Rejo12

Rejo12 New to FujiXspot

Feb 24, 2014
    Very long shot I know but I'm flying from Amsterdam to Columbia next week via Houston.
    Anyone know if there is any good camera shops in the airport where I might be able to pick up a lens.
    Obviously America is cheaper than Europe but I only have a two hour stop over so only chance might be at the airport.
    Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. entropic remnants

entropic remnants Solving for X

Jul 28, 2013
    I don't recall anything in the airport at all -- there are electronics vendors but they would sell mostly consumer bridge cameras or compacts or whatever I think.

This is an older article about camera stores in Houston: http://houston.cbslocal.com/top-lists/best-camera-stores-in-houston/

Although you might be able to have them sell you something and bring it to the airport, I don't think you'll be going through customs at Houston. You'll be behind the international security perimeter and I don't think anything will be allowed in or out of there. I don't believe there's much you can do. However, if you DO go through customs and are able to get out you might be able to meet somebody and pick up something you buy. That's the only answer I can think of.

3. Hyubie

Hyubie FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Weymouth, MA
    Isn't everything more expensive in an airport? (Well at least that's my impression.)

4. Armanius

Armanius FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    I don't think there's a "real" camera store in the Bush International Airport (IAH). There are two "real" camera stores in Houston -- Houston Camera Exchange, and Houston Camera Co-op. HCE is the bigger of the two, and has much more stuff. http://www.hcehouston.com/ Depending on the value of the item(s) that you want to buy, someone at HCE might make a drive out to Bush Airport to deliver the goods to you. It's quite a drive though, because Bush Airport is nowhere near the heart of Houston.

5. Rejo12

Rejo12 New to FujiXspot

Feb 24, 2014
    Thanks everyone , like I thought bit of a long shot.
    Yes normally things are more expensive at airports but when you consider the price in Europe then it's still interesting.

6. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    How much trouble would it be to catch another flight for the 2nd leg if you 'missed' your connection?

7. nippa

nippa FujiXspot Regular

Feb 26, 2013
    Cheshire UK
    Dennis
    I'm familiar with Schipol and Bush Airport ( at least those terminals I fly through! ) but I can't recall any useful stores with lenses.
    One thing you could try is to order a lens before you fly and then buy it free of Tax at Schipol.
    The Schipol website has a large section devoted to Duty Free Shopping where goods may be ordered in advance.

In the UK Dixons do a similar thing at some UK Airports but often the selection is limited
    Good Luck.

http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/Shop/AfterPassportControl/electronicsgadgets/PhotoVideo.htm
    ask a question

8. cwolffensperger

cwolffensperger FujiXspot Regular

Oct 26, 2013
    Iceland
    Chris Wolffensperger
    At Schiphol there is a camera store that might have lenses (they do sell Nikon, canon and even Leica, not sure about Fuji), but I'm not sure. But: prices here are quite a bit higher than in the US, especially with the deals now (here in Europe there is no action, discount or what so ever). So I guess you'll be cheaper ordering them in the US...

9. Rejo12

Rejo12 New to FujiXspot

Feb 24, 2014
    Just to let everyone now , Houston airport has nothing unless you need "Houston we have a problem " tshirt

• Like Like x 4