How much improved is the video recording feature on the X100s?

Discussion in 'Fuji X100, X100S, and X100T' started by Ramirez, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez FujiXspot Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    Like many of you here, my main goal with the X cameras aren't video recording. But occasionally I'd like to record video. And as I've invested too much in the Fuji X system I wouldn't want to buy other cameras for my video needs.

Are there any improvements on the video side compared to the previous X cameras (X100/X-Pro1/X-E1)?

I've read that you can somehow change film simulations during video recording. Can you change aperture during video recording? What do you guys know about the video recording features on the X100S?

I've preordered the Fujifilm mic; MIC-ST1 for my video needs (the USB adapter is included for the X100S).

I hope that I at least can record acceptable video.

2. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
  3. Ramirez

Feb 25, 2013
    After reading Fredriks words I can calmly conclude that the video feature on the X100s will be enough for my occasional needs. By understanding the limits it will be easier to work with.

4. Ramirez

Feb 25, 2013
    My video recording concerns are solved, I think

Even though we want everything in one system that maybe isn't possible.

The Fuji X cameras can record video, sometimes even quality ones if you understand the limitations under which you have to work with.

I have come to the conclusion that I really love my two Fuji cameras (X-E1 and X100s) as my photography tools. Sometimes even a videoclip can be made (for me that means manual focus method, setting the scene beforehand etc.).

Now, as my YouTube video channel has started to grow, videography is growing own me - almost to the same level as my photography interest - a second tool is needed.

I read about the Panasonic Lumix G6 a little. It is not a GH3 but quite capable as I have understood. Manual settings during video recording etc. It has gotten some things from the GH3 and added a few things like focus peaking during video too (if I understand it correctly). Focus point can be changed through the touch display during video recording etc.

The Lumix G6 seems to be a great videography tool and I just preordered it!

A slight return to the m43 system for me :) But this time mainly for my video needs. Fuji for photography and m43 / Lumix G6 for videography.

I think I am reaching a good balance for my two needs.

5. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    My understanding is that the NEX system does very well with video as well (including focus peaking), and older used bodies are pretty cheap

6. Ramirez

Feb 25, 2013
    I actually had a Lumix G3 once.. Some nostalgia is involved in my desiscion :) I am familiar with the Lumix m43 menus etc from before. It is like seeing an old friend who has had a total makeover that has been to the gym and gained muscle power (G3 to G6).

7. bhupinder2002

bhupinder2002 FujiXspot Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    Hi Ramirez
    I had Fuji X100 and its video was crisp and clear . For simple family videos and if u dont need optical zoom, Fuji video is exellent and people over react on internet.Fuji X100s video should be perfect for ur needs.
    Cheers