how retro is futuristic?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by mms, Feb 27, 2013.

1. mms

mms New to FujiXspot

Feb 27, 2013
    As a long-time voigtlander collector I just love the design of the fuji x-series cameras. I just wonder why all models are still packed with gizmos. Wouldn't there be a market for true retro cameras that can just take pictures?
    Maybe a firmware update would allow this....

2. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Whilst I understand where you are coming from, I think the actual market would be suicidally small. Nobody buys a Fiat 500, Mini or Beetle today expecting thrm to drive like their 40-year-old counterparts. For that ┬Ęclassic" experience I use my 84-year-old Leica II ;)

Sent from another Galaxy

• Like Like x 1
  3. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    Leica makes a camera like that, but you pay a pretty penny for it. No one says you have to use the gizmos though. Set your ISO before you leave the house, turn off the LCD, shoot in manual all day and then upload your photos when you get home. A retro camera with digital output - no firmware update needed.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I'd go bonkers if I were stuck with ISO 100 for 24 shots.

5. Penfan2010

Penfan2010 FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Central-ish NJ
    Ed
    Love it; I do most of this already, but can't bear to shoot with a single ISO for too long.

6. nianys

nianys FujiXspot Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    France
    Claire
    I think I could, just set ISO400 and let it roll....

7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Near Philadephila
    I could accept a lot of limitations and let it roll - I spent my entire youth in the film era doing all that. Fully FULLY manual cameras with totally manual exposure and totally manual focus and totally manual processing, with one ASA setting per roll, and usually per spool. Sometimes composing on a cut-glass screen that was upside down or backwards. Sometimes with the light meter in the left hand and the camera in the right until i could stick the meter back in a pocket. I took some pretty decent photos before the advent of my first "automatic" feature - aperture priority on my FE-2 which I bought in about '85.

You think I'd go back to that for the sake of simplicity? Not a chance in HELL, to quote Samuel L. Jackson (and said with his inflection)! I often shoot pretty simply, with one body and one prime lens. But I always use today's MUCH better metering. I often use today's incredible auto-focus (I sold the original Minolta Maxxum when it came out - do you know how bad that was compared to the worst AF we have today?). And I vary the ISO I shoot at as the situation dictates and as the sensor will allow.

Go back to simpler than that for the mere SAKE of simplicity? Nope. Been there, done that. It was what we had and we made it work as well as we could, but today is a LOT better!

-Ray