HSS or high speed sync

Discussion in 'Coffee with Rico Pfirstinger, Fuji X-Pert' started by jenna, Aug 3, 2013.

1. jenna

jenna FujiXspot Rookie

Jul 30, 2013
    Hi Rico,

Is high speed sync possible with XE-1 (in manual operation) using electronic flash trigger mounted on the hotshoe of the camera to fire speedlites capable of HSS like the Canon 580EX or Nikon? If this is possible it will be a good way to do a fill-in flash photography in a very sunny condition and still have a nice blurry background using a wide aperture. Thank you.

Jenna

2. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    This feature is not available so far. Would be nice, though.

3. jenna

jenna FujiXspot Rookie

Jul 30, 2013
    Hi Rico,

Can you please educate me more on how the HSS work? I did some research and I know already the flash sync and shutter relation on standard flash mode. On Canon system, there's nothing to set on the camera for HSS, all you need to do is to turn ON the HSS on the flash (580EX). Does it mean that the camera is functioning independently aside from triggering the flash to fire a continuous burst of light for the HSS? If this is the way how it works then all we need is a speedlite like the Canon 580EX , set the XE-1 to AV, mount Canon TTL Off-Camera Flash Cable to trigger the 580EX and perform HSS.

Please correct me, I'm just trying to find a way to go around the XE-1 so we could also enjoy the HSS on our camera. Thanks.

Jenna

4. romi.gilles

romi.gilles FujiXspot Top Veteran

May 17, 2013
    back in Crooklyn
    i think you can only sync as fast as 1/180. not sure how you could go around that. maybe get a x100/s with its leaf shutter. :p

(Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk)

5. jenna

jenna FujiXspot Rookie

Jul 30, 2013
    Hi Romi.qilles,

I understand that XE-1 flash sync is only at 1/160s and it doesn't have the HSS feature. I am just trying to explore all the possibilities of high speed sync on XE-1 by using a 580EX speedlite capable of HSS that can be triggered by a cable mounted on XE-1 hotshoe. Hope those who have other system could do a little experiment or at least try if it will work. It will be a good + to our camera if we can discover a way how to do it :). Thank you.

Jenna

6. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    You can sync with 1/180s. Officially. Practically, 1/250s will still work with most flash units w/o casting shadows or uneven lighting. There is no HSS option for Fuji available, yet. That might change in the future, but it requires strong flash units, like the EF-42. HSS removes a significant portion of the nominal power of a flash, but still, I think it is an important option for serious strobists in the field.

If you have a flash that offers manual continuous light output, you can of course try it manually w/o TTL exposure. In this case, the flash works like a "lamp" and you can in theory use any shutter speed. Just make sure the "lamp" is steong enough.

7. taz98spin

taz98spin FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    New York, NY
    TAZ
    Here's an example of the flash synced to 1/250s (0.004 sec) on my X-Pro1

As you can see you get that black shadow to the right of the image.
    But you can always crop that out if you want as well!

8748508197_3f98c8d30b_c.
    Amy by Taz Spin, on Flickr

8. jenna

jenna FujiXspot Rookie

Jul 30, 2013
    Rico & Taz,

I can see lights at the end of the tunnel :)

Thank you guys for giving us hope :)

Jenna

9. taz98spin

Feb 1, 2013
    New York, NY
    TAZ
    Glad I could help!! Happy shooting!!

10. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    That really depends on which flash you use. Many flashed should work up to 1/250s.

11. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    I'd be interested in seeing how a manually set HSS flash unit from Canon or Nikon performs with a Fuji system camera in HSS mode. Obviously, results totally depends on how the flash handles the HSS (all the camera will do is fire the flash, that's it), and everything needs to be set manually, but I hey, no risk, no fun.

12. jenna

jenna FujiXspot Rookie

Jul 30, 2013
    Hi Rico,

Hope we have some members that still have their DSLR (Nikon/Canon) with speedlites capable of doing the HSS so they could do some experimentation. I think to be able to do this we have to trigger the flash unit with something that will not affect the camera settings, maybe a radio flash trigger mounted on the hotshoe so that the flash and camera will work independently. Any idea??? Soon school will start, I will be able to borrow speedlites from my teacher so I could try it on my XE-1. Hope to have positive results :)

Jenna

13. romi.gilles

May 17, 2013
    back in Crooklyn
    how fast are you wanting to sync? are you trying to black out all ambient? in the end, you may not be satisfied with what you're trying to accomplish with the x-e1.

14. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger

I would start with a standard wire trigger, or simply put the flash on the hot shoe.

15. jenna

jenna FujiXspot Rookie

Jul 30, 2013
    HSS on XE-1

Hi Mr. Romi.qilles,

I understand that XE-1 doesn't have the HSS feature, that is the main reason why we are trying to explore all the possibilities like I mentioned on my previous post and to expand the capabilities of our camera. If just in case we found a way by doing some experimentation using a other brand speedlite like the 580EX and hopefully it worked then it will be very beneficial to us XE-1/XPRO-1 users. If we fail, still beneficial for us because it's a healthy form of exercising our curiosity positively. Another point, if there's somebody here from Fuji reading this topic, he or she might give an idea to the people incharge of the firmware to do some upgrade. They might also come up with a dedicated speedlite capable of HSS and I'm pretty sure you and other XE-1 users will buy this flash (another marketing idea). To be able to do the HSS on our camera is a big plus factor for us.

To answer your question how fast the sync i'm looking for, I would say over the standard sync, maybe 1/500s to 1/3000s. My idea is not to black out all the ambient but to blur the background instead.

Mr. Rico is now working or doing his experiments, I hope other members will do the same for the love of photography.

Thank you very much Mr. Rico for initiating the experiment for HSS.

Jenna

16. romi.gilles

May 17, 2013
    back in Crooklyn
    i guess what i'm trying to get at is, how you'd be able to physically make a focal-plane shutter sync faster than it currently can especially from 1/180s to 1/3000s. kind of like making a 12mp sensor capture 16mp. i haven't come across any showings of this with the x-e1, yet. but if it can be done, i'd be first to want to know how.

17. taz98spin

Feb 1, 2013
    New York, NY
    TAZ
    I'm using a Metz flash. My Olympus flash produce similar results.

Can you let me (us) know which flash should work with 1/250s without the shadow issue?!

Thanks!

18. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Most Fuji flashes seem to work.

19. romi.gilles

May 17, 2013
    back in Crooklyn
    taz, what results are you getting shooting 1/180s at wide open aperture? are you even able to? not being able to shoot at small aperture values stops the whole game right there. i've got a yongnuo and a fuji flash. i've also got a sony flash that does HSS but with DSLTs. can't really do anything sophisticated like with nikon or even canon flash systems.

hey, how about trying that gary fong powersnoot thing? lol

20. taz98spin

Feb 1, 2013
    New York, NY
    TAZ
    Since I have no plans tomorrow, but to edit photos & hit the gym, I'll test out 1/180s!